No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: World's largest collection of Satin Uranium Glass for sale!  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: World's largest collection of Satin Uranium Glass for sale!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:13:03 AM »
Yellow Satin Vaseline Uranium Glass? Evidently they don't know how much Cambridge Light Emerald they have showing thats not yellow, its green. Alot of it is Tiffin Canary that is yellow, but its also common. Evidently the money is in the showcases. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »
Despite the description, still impressive though Ohio?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »
I'm certainly drooling over the cases!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »
Keith said something about the shipping and import tax being too dear... :'(

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
I've not approached M yet - maybe we could work out something between us?
You plot, I'll plan, then we can add it up and divide by 2...
( fat chance!)  :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
Despite the description, still impressive though Ohio?
Jayne I guess it depends on where you are from. In the states this type of display is like a one trick pony...been there, done that, simply because in many malls dealers will fill a shelf or two of reactive glass (up to around 50 pieces) & use black lights. Never mind that fully 80% of the glow is from glass that is not yellow, its all touted to be Vaseline & when this goes on for 20 years it becomes ho-hum who cares? Personally I attempt to persuade people to leave the Vaseline dark side (unless it does meet at least some of the standards set by Vaseline collectors organizations) & simply use the European Uranium glass term instead & believe it or not I have been somewhat successful. When you have had so many manufacturers as we had in the U.S. use Uranium salts, dioxides, etc. in batch mixes for so many colors...well to me personally the showcases are what stands out.  Ken

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
Ah okay I understand now Ken. I suppose I'm still at the stage of being impressed with anything over 60 years old that glows under UV, and I've certainly never seen anything here in the UK in our shopping centres with a display like that. :D

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »
ALL: I have actually seen this collection in person.  I did an article for our vaseline glass club newsletter in January, 2011.  I have seen the collection without the blacklight shining on all of the pieces.  I would say that 95% of the glass is yellow uranium satin glass, not a green variety with satin finish.  If you take the 228 pieces and multiply by $50 USD, you come up with a little more than $11,000 USD.  There are some pieces that are of a higher caliber that were mentioned in the ebay listing, but the majority of the pieces are what I call 'beginning collecting' pieces (candlesticks, plates, berry bowls, compotes, etc).  Satin glass looks best when their is no pattern, and most of the glass fits that category.

The sellers contacted me sometime last year and inquired if I knew of anyone who would be interested in buying the entire collection.  I did not have a lead for them.  The 'world's largest' is a self-appointed title.  There may be others who have a larger quantity of satin finished vaseline glass. 

In my opinion, the most impressive thing about the collection was the cases where it was housed.  The collection is owned by the antique shop owners.  It is not a consignment booth antique shop.  Everything in the shop is their own merchandise.  The collection is the owner's personal collection that he has bought off of ebay.  In my opinion, the owners are asking full retail for the collection.  This is a collection with no rhyme or reason to maker or age, with the only criteria being that it has a satin finish.  There was a lot of Tiffin (U.S. Glass Co.) and Imperial, but there was also modern (in past 15 to 20 years) of novelty pieces (little animals and statues).  When I looked at the collection, I tried to think of any pieces in the collection that I would REALLY like to have and to make an offer.  I did not consider a single piece in the collection to be a 'rare' piece that needed me to make an offer.  I drove to their location (about 2 1/2 hours from me, located in Eureka, VA) just to do an article for our newsletter and I filled a couple of pages with their personal history of restoring the old building and the collection.  When they got the building, it has been abandoned for over 20 years, and the back end of it was collapsed and open to the environment.  They restored it to 85% original, and they live upstairs from their store.  It is a great building with original old-timey wooden floor, brick walls exposed, tin panel high ceiling etc.  They had some old photos/postcards of the interior when it was originally built, and restored it faithfully to that look and feel. 

The three big cabinets are impressive, but unless you also have a vintage commercial building, the cabinets are WAAAAAY too big to be displayed in a home.  I don't recall if the front panels swung out or were on a sliding rail.

If I picker/dealer walked in and wanted to buy the collection for resale, he/she would most likely offer about $3500-4000 USD for the collection.  As the pieces are not scarce or unusual in the US, the dealer would spend considerable time trying to find buyers.  The caliber of glass in the cabinet is impressive to see that someone has gathered up that much satin glass, but individually, most glass of this value has no bidders on ebay.  The owners are lovely people, and it is there collection to sell as they wish.  I am just stating an unattached objective viewpoint from having been probably the only person on the glass message board that has actually seen the collection,   and who is also an advanced collector of vaseline glass to know it's value from the standpoint of selling off the collection a piece at a time.   

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
Thank-you MrVaselineGlass, that was most interesting to read. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand