No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: request for help with Rd. No.  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
request for help with Rd. No.
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
It's possibly the second digit that is causing the problem  -  but whether a three or five I still can't see this in the Blue Book............looks as though the No. has been applied by diamond point.            Length of dish is c. 9.75" -  250mm, and edges of the pattern remain very sharp.    I thought possibly Stuart, but only a gut feeling really since I have other pieces of theirs in this shape  -  not a rational reason for a conclusion.         Outside of the star, the remainder of the foot has been ground flat/smooth - and the piece contains one or two very small white seeds.          Rings like a bell, as you might imagine.    Looks as though it should have some age, but not sure how much, and have posted here as believe to be British.             All thoughts welcome, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: request for help with Rd. No.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:31:33 PM »
Paul, I recalled your earlier topic about a different bowl with the same shape and RD no. 555817, and am thinking the RD relates to the bowl shape not the pattern?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=44733.5
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:20:40 PM »
thanks so much Anne - caught out by my own inefficiency - and the reason for this omission is that someone forgot to write this Rd. and details in his copy of the Blue Book. :(   I will look in detail tomorrow, but can say that there is a different 'feel' in today's piece from the earlier one. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:55:02 AM »
It sounds like your Blue Book is like my copy, Paul - added notes in the margins and postits attached to pages to fill in the gaps! :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
Think you're right Anne. :-[        Just found my original notes on 555817 (a loose leaf in the Blue Book!) where I'd written that this was missing from the Blue Book because it is shown in the Register as Class IV.           
Was out early one morning last month and bought another example of this shape - with a Stuart backstamp and showing same Rd. No.  -  and on the way back to the car stopped to make a final purchase, and knelt to put the bowl and a roll of sandpaper on the ground to free up hands.    Made purchase and went back to the car, only realizing at home that I'd left the bowl and sandpaper behind.    So would seem a not uncommon shape and produced perhaps for many years - makes me think of a casserole dish.          Surprisingly I did get the roll of sandpaper back, eventually.
In fact the cutting on both bowls is quite sharp - perhaps neither were subject to any final acid polishing.            Don't know whether there is any significance re this second example having a diamond point No.  -  might it have been produced prior to 1920 anyone think? -  I don't recall seeing other Stuart pieces with Rd. No. applied by this method.   

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
I've not seen a hand-done one either Paul, would you please add it to the designs database album on GlassGallery (or let me do it for you?)  :-*

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
yes, will add this one as soon as I can. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »
Cheers Paul. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia