No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Baccarat cologne/perfume  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Baccarat cologne/perfume
« on: July 21, 2012, 05:36:32 PM »
I notice that Pamela now has a picture of what may be a part Baccarat trinket set which is credited to Fred (Agincourt), consisting of a tray, two bottles like this and a ring holder.      I did show a picture of this uranium bottle some time back, but knew nothing of its relationship to a trinket set, so hope people don't object to seeing it again - would be great to have this complete set in uranium.          As is often the case with Baccarat, the underside is numbered - this one is No. 189 - and almost the entire base is taken up with a ground/polished pontil depression.
In this link, provided by m last year......   http://reviews.ebay.com/Dating-Vintage-Baccarat-Perfume-Bottles_W0QQugidZ10000000003949353
I can't find 189, but judging by other very close numbers it would appear likely that 189 dates to somewhere in the 1920's, probably.
does the rose tinted set carry a Baccarat No. Fred??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Baccarat cologne/perfume
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:00:17 PM »
The only marking I can remember on the Rose Tiente Baccarat set was a raised 'Baccarat Depose'. I think 'Depose' simply means 'registered'. By the way, you often see 'Amberina' applied to the Rose Tiente colour in online listings.

The twisted surface pattern on the bottle is often called 'Swirl', to distinguish it from some of the other surface patterns on bottles etc. with similar colourways.

As to the date, I was led to believe that a Baccarat Depose' marking indicated c1920s.

The bottles and perfume atomiser are in the Baccarat catalogue on http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/  but I couldn't find the tray or the ringholder there.

There is currently a Baccarat Amberina Rose Tiente Swirl stoppered bottle listed on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACCARAT-CRYSTAL-PERFUME-BOTTLE-AMBERINA-ROSE-TIENTE-Antique-Cologne-Scent-1910-/120920282049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c276913c1
'Signed - Engraved/Etched B to the underside of bottle and end and side of stopper', and dated by the listed as c1900.

Baccarat glass is not really my field, so I suppose that more knowledgable GMB members may shed more light on the subject.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
not mine either..............I picked this up, from memory, because it was cheap and a uranium example  -  and I have not the remotest idea if Depose' is confirmation of 1920 period.          Rather confusing that some of these bottles have a Baccarat No., and some are without.
Is it possible that there really is no trinket set as such - perhaps these items are stand alone pieces.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »
What a lovely piece Paul!
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Eugénie

• Members
    • ring holders
    • Lisse in the Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
Hello Paul,
 I am new at this forum but I have some information for you.. The model is called "Bambou torsé" of Baccarat and it is really a part of a trinket set!!! I have the matching ring holder by the way. It's a very big set  with a lot of items. See Pamela's Musterbuch / Baccarat/ service de toilette and you will find all the items in the old catalogue.  The number you are talking about,  is it engraved? Normally the bottle and the stop should have the same engraved number so  you are sure you have the original stop for the right bottle, as simple as that.  The ring holder has the pressed texte "Baccarat" and "deposé". Not all the items will have that. If you google "Baccarat- ensemble de toilette- baguier" and than" images" you will find pictures of your bottle and the whole set. This model has been made in this yellow color but also in  blue, pink, clear and pink fading from very dark to light clear pink.  There were some German/ Bohemien glassfactories who made something simular - the bambou torsé modell, they called it Walzen. But you easily can recognize the difference in glass/ crystal quality when you see it next to each other. There will be a big difference in prices. Baccarat or the others...

Eugénie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
Eugénie - welcome to the GMB - what can I say - for someone who is new to this board you seem to have a great deal of knowledge regarding Baccarat and trinket sets.   Please do stay with us, I'm sure you'll be a great asset to the GMB :)

First of all my sincere thanks for taking the time to offer help regarding my cologne/perfume bottle which, as you can see, is an attractive example of a Baccarat piece in uranium, and although made by this French factory, I don't know if this was produced to be sold by them, or sold by other large cosmetics companies in general  -  or perhaps both.

quote from my link..................."Bottles were systematically engraved with a mark only from 1936 onward. Prior to this, some were stamped, others had a small circular paper...."
In the light of your comments, I'm now forced to reconsider what I've said earlier about my no. indicating a manufacturing date.   I now believe that to be wrong - and the no. 189 (as you suggest) - which is shown on both the stopper and the base - is simply a 'matching no.' i.e. those nos. which are applied at the factory to create a marriage between a stopper and body (for a good fit).         We've discussed these marriage/matching nos. before, and I hadn't realized the possibility of a matching no. being that high (numerically) - so my assumption that the 189 indicated a production year is probably wrong.
You are of course correct about this being part of a trinket set, and I believe Jayne may have some pieces in this pattern - I believe she also has a tray and possibly a pot of some description......although the colour I think is different - I belive it's the same as Pamela's.
The fact that my bottle has a quality ground/polished pontil depression across almost the entire base, may possibly indicate a product for a more high class retailer  -  but that is simply my opinion.            The body of my bottle shows two mould seams, so presumably this is example is mould blown.
thanks again for your interest, and will we see some of your glass soon??       -    what is your favourite glass area for collecting. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
Eugénie, how lovely to see you here, and thanks also for your email, to which I'll reply shortly.

This forum is fairly new, and started to try and progress our collective knowledge of trinket sets, as there are a few of us who have a specific interest in them.  Your expertise on  ringholders will be most welcome here. I'm still trying to wade through loads of info to add it to the trinket set website as and when time allows.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
Welcome Eugenie! Thank you for the interesting read, and yes Paul is quite right I have a couple pieces in the 'Swirl' pattern.

Interestingly I have a bottle and stopper in the same colour which fit together perfectly but the engraved numbers are different, 42 on the stopper and 52 on the bottle.  If I consult the numbers in the list in Paul's link they would fit in around the 1908/1909 period. However as Paul says the numbers are not a direct indication of manufacture date, although the list runs in somewhat consecutive order. I wonder now if my items are in fact not a match.

As you said Eugenie, the quality is superb. :)
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand