No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart goblets pattern id  (Read 2699 times)

Offline PaulFitz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Stuart goblets pattern id
« on: August 10, 2019, 08:32:11 AM »
Hi,can anyone help with a pattern id on this please.
I have 4 of them and they measure 12.5 cms tall by 8.7 cms in diameter.
The nearest i could match was from a not very clear photo of a Diana whiskey glass but that had a 'cut' foot.
The tracing shows 2 lines,straight and a curved one.
These are not on the glass.The bottom of the X's are all horizontal on the glass but shows as a curve on the paper.
Any help would be great.
Paul.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart goblets pattern id
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »
Hi - good glasses.         Regret I no longer have the books, but that backstamp doesn't look very recent  -  I seem to recall that the longish tail on the 't' had some age.                     Requests like yours Paul often meet with the suggestion that you try Replacements.com  -  have you tried that resource - and might this be where you found the 'Diana' pattern?               Cut patterns from a factory such as Stuart, are vast to put it mildly - many looking quite similar - and it needs great concentration, and Disprin sometimes, too.

You don't say where you've already searched to attempt an i.d.  -  it helps massively if you mention those sites you've already tried and it saves people searching twice if they know where you've already looked.

Hope someone here has the answer for you :)

Offline PaulFitz

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:34:22 PM »
HI Paul,
thank you for your reply.Replacements was the 1st call for id and that is were i came across the Diana pattern.China replacements another one.
As for the Stuart mark, i found info on GMB that it dates from the 1930's to just after the war.
Also as you mention so many of their designs looks very similar and does get quite tiring.
Anyway,hopefully someone can help further on this and thanks again.
Cheers,Paul.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 09:44:56 AM »
I am currently working my way through a vast number of crystal glasses, and have just completed an exercise to try and find images of all Stuart crystal patterns named on the replacements website, where there are no images available.  I suspect that the references such as STU9 are internal pattern names, so if there is no image available on the site it is not possible to find an image elsewhere.  This is a shame as, for example, STU9 is described as "fan and crisis-cross" which matches, at least by description, the pattern on Paul's glasses.

I thought if I posted the names of the patterns I have been unable to find images of, other GMB members might have examples and they could post pictures.  The ones I cannot find anywhere are :

English (very difficult to search for due to Stuart being English crystal!)
Albemarle
Ranelagh
Griffin Park (lots of images of my old football ground!)
Lucerne
Warfield

Paul, I did check your glass against all the images I was able to find, that were not available on the replacements site, but it wasn't one of them.  I do agree that it strongly resembles Diana pattern, and my first thought was that there may have been a plain foot version.  However, the stems on yours are quite distinctive and definitely not the same as the Diana wine glass stem.  Maybe we will get lucky and yours is one of the patterns listed here.

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline PaulFitz

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
Looks like you are doing a great job there and hopefully other people can help and post photos.
Just seen the Diana wine glass and as you say,a totally different stem.
Keep up the great work.
Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand