No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scottish Italian Paperweight?  (Read 4621 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
Scottish Italian Paperweight?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 12:26:33 PM »
Adam

I've now checked and the paperweights I had seen were on Ebay and can still be seen there
this with a label and
this which doesnt show a label.
All very similar to the ones above.
So, in 1986 and 1987 Edinburgh Crystal sold a range of weights made for them by Caithness to fill a gap in their range.
According to Bob Hall's book, these all sold. Also according to Bob, they withdrew from the market in 1990.
This leaves a couple of years when they sold something - so possibly it was these imported and badged Murano weights (which of course look nothing like Edinburgh millefiore and lampwork paperweights of previous years).  
Maybe they didnt sell successfully hence they withdrew from the market. Possibly someone who knows about Murano weights could suggest whether these are the correct style for that time
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Scottish Italian Paperweight?
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »
Thanks Martin

I think what you say makes sense - ref the links - wow what a difference a good listing can make to the price.

So Edinburgh Crystal the Murano years .... the canes are consistent with those in paperweights I have from the period you mention - the use of jet black in the cane formation is something I identify with - of course Italians have used black layers in ruffle & cog canes for a long time so it is only a casual observation

It could be there were less Italian than Caithness weights made as you suggest they may have filled in a small gap and been unsuccessful sellers - the company have not yet got back to me

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand