No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caution over Whitefriars weights on e-bay  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Caution over Whitefriars weights on e-bay
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »
Hi All,
          most members would not fall foul of this but just posting a caution in case.

There are 3 very nice Whitefriars paperweights on e-bay. On very close inspection of the photos, they are all carrying an "S" engraving to their bases showing them to be factory shop quality. Some serious bids have been made and they are still very nice. ( Please be aware that I made bids but have withdrawn them)

I am posting this only because after being informed, the seller has so far made no alteration to the description nor posted my messages on the items.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230828424608?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230828422933?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230828421509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Regards,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caution over Whitefriars weights on e-bay
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
What's wrong with them?  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
The S shows they are seconds.

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
Hi

The likely reason for the Butterfly second is that they left a cane out of the Garland at 11 oclock.

Roy

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »

I was told by a senior Whitefriars employee that the 'S' was put on pieces that were to be sold in the Shop - most of which were, of course, seconds. But there were a few one-offs that were sold that way, and some excess stock of standard types. That said, most pieces with an S on the base will be seconds.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
Hi,
 the seller has now posted comments on each item BUT they are still implying that the rose weight and the garland weight are GOOD STOCK but excess stock. They cannot infer this or prove it. Indeed they are attributing an additional rarity because of this !!!! Just because the fault is not immediately obvious, an "S" engraving is most likely to be a SECOND.

Cheers,

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 11:56:33 PM »
I'm always amazed how some of the casual sellers think they always know more than a collector. I have had two instances on eBay recently where the sellers do not want to hear what you tell them and want to argue about. Ran into one now selling a gentile lizard who thinks they have an ultra rare piece. Sorry just venting.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300743301423 is offering a Strathearn as Perthshire. He published my first comment:
Q: Hi - this is a Strathearn weight, not Perthshire. Best regards - miniruessler
A: Hi, thank you for that, unfortunately without a label there is no way I can tell, together with ebay's lack of appropriate categories there is little choice other than to describe as being from Perthshire...Peter
When I responded that it was quite easy to tell by checking Richard More's website and Perthshire catalogues (this shape was never used for a production run Perthshire weight) and/or the "Complete Guide ...", his (unpublished) answer was he couldn't check catalogues nor the guide as he didn't have them ... and apart from that, Strathearn was in Perthshire so this would be a Perthshire weight anyway.
Just another example where sellers just don't want to get any advise, which they feel could lower the price they are fetching - who cares about a correct description!
In this case I gave up - fortunately in the majority of cases sellers correspond positively and thank for advice.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand