No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kralik version of Loetz Texas? or something else? Red iridescent textured vase  (Read 12476 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

http://www.kralik-glass.com/r-images/hyacinth/rhy4.jpg
I think my vase is the same maker as this hyacinth to be honest - which is Rindskopf
I know the base isn't the same but I think they are the same maker.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I have to respectfully disagree I think.   ;D

The pattern on that Hyacinth is more like the reference on pg 181 Vol IV of DBG. It is a vertical ribbed pattern with some intersections creating some closed patterns.

These other pieces, yours included, are a random pattern of ridges which appear like a "Brain" surface, or a "Maze".

We also see different levels of definition in the pattern, which may be different houses, or also possibly different ages of the wood molds in their life cycles.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
   ;D you are right.
However... the colour and the iridescence and the depth of the pattern is the same as far as I can see, as my vase.  I'm holding out for a newly id'd range of Rindskopf   ;)
btw have you seen the vase on page 224 of band 4.  I think it's the same decor as the one you linked above at number 3 but no maze pattern on it.  It's under 'unknown'.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
That does appear to be the same decor as pics 2 & 3.... sans surface decor.....

Craig

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
So although this link will not stay forever, this seller is part of a group that communicates regularly with the two posters in CW that claim Kralik for the decor. This is likely the source of the Kralik attribution which we see in CW. This inaccuracy of this sellers attributions have also been discussed in this forum before.

I know of no verifiable source that would link this oil lamp to Kralik, other than this sellers desire to call it that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Bohemian-Kralik-Green-Iridescent-Art-Nouveau-Glass-Kerosene-Oil-Lamp-/141061318291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d7e8e693

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Craig :)

Very strangely, I came across this  whilst looking for something else
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2581507
Apparently a Mount Washington fig  (I saw it listed as a muffineer).
It seems to be a similar bark texture and colour as my vase - the shape  matches other pieces id'd as MountWashington but in enamelled decors.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I think that decor and yours are different. I do think the decor on yours and the one on CW are quite the same.

I am sending you an image of comparisons, which I can not post here as I simply cropped part of the Fig decor for comparison....

Similar in some ways, but I think distinctly different....

Craig

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes, thanks for the mail and comparison :)
I suppose it just demonstrates that more than one maker was probably using a type of bark decor.
I agree, I think mine is the same as those on CW - thank you  :)
So the search goes on as to who made them now.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Also interesting that similar decors were on different sides of the pond....  making me wonder if there may also be a stateside source for some of these pieces.....  Everyone seems to assume they are all Bohemian.   

Craig

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Yes, I had been silently wondering the same.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand