No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drinking glass P/W canes  (Read 2824 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
Drinking glass P/W canes
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »
Hi, any idea of the maker / era of  the  canes at the base of this glass they look to be  well made and are in a dome in the base of the glass imitating a small P/W. The glass is 3 inches tall with a rim dia of 2.125 inches dia, base dia 1.625 inches.Rough concave pontil mark ground finish. The tooling marks are visible where the glass has been shaped drawn out around the body.
Many thanks
Malcolm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Drinking glass P/W canes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
The canes are early Ysart (Salvador Ysart type) and they could have been made in the 1930s or during the Ysart Brothers period (1946 to 1955).

The drinking glass is another matter, though. It might be contemporary with the canes. Or it could be from the Vasart Ltd period (1956 to 1964) or Strathearn Glass (1964 to 1980).
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »
Hi  - nice to see another one of these.  if you can find it, see my article for the Northern Paperweight Society's "Gather" magazine (last year) in which I compare these Ysart/Vasart glasses with other shot glasses. This contained photos of my examples.  Kevin - have I not sent you these images before?.   I had always thought that the shape of the glasses always had an art deco look to them (straight edges - no curves) that would have suggested a 1930s date.  If I remember and can find them, i will post pictures of mine later
Martin

Offline malcmat

• Members
    • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
Many thanks KevinH and Martin for the invaluable information. That would be great Martin if you could post your images.

Malcolm

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »
malcolm -  i am sure i posted details on here before.  However i cannot find it.   If you email me (see little envelope to the left) then i will send you the article that i did as this has pictures of 3 of mine
Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »
Martin, I had a vague recollection of another of these but did not remember that it was yours. I am fairly sure I have not seen your article, but you may have sent me photos although I don't recall those either.

I will rummage around the GMB posts to see if I can find something here.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:30:07 AM »
Found the thread!

"Possible salvador glass"
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25583.msg141483.html#msg141483

And one of the canes is a likely match - the one in other thread that I called "the rather over-the-top orange/yellow cane in the central row".

Still need to get my hands on one of these glasses to check it under shortwave uv!
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:53 PM »
Today at the Cambridge Glass Fair I had my hands on four of these "shot glasses" and checked them out with UV light.

Under longwave uv they show as a bright (but not "uranium bright") green and the shortwave uv result is (silvery) grey. For uv reaction, each glass was set upright and upside down as the fluorescence is barely visible in the sides of the glass but very obvious across the base and the rim top.

In all cases, including the examples that Malcolm and Martin have, the canes in the base are all known to be "early Ysart". Their weight, in the hand, varies and for two of the examples the glass was clearly thicker than the other two. Also, two appear to be unfinished as there are distinct "steps" in the upper parts / rim - but how that occured is a bit of a mystery.

For the four today, each had a clear glass dome above the canes but there appeared to be differing methods of construction. One had a dome part that seemed to have been made as part of the main glass and then completed with a "flat" section containing the canes. Two others appeared to have been made as "true domed" (but tiny) paperweights "inserted" into the base of the main glass. The other seemed to be a mix of the two methods!

All things considered my view is that these were most likely made at the Ysart Brothers (Vasart) works, 1946 to 1955/6. The UV result shows that they are not Vasart Ltd, 1956 to 1964 or Strathearn 1964 to 1980.

They could, however, be from pre-war Ysart years, made as friggers rather than part of the Monart output, but I lean towards Ysart Brothers.
KevinH

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »
That's some useful information Kevin.    8)

For comparison with the glass, I am posting a better image of the glass that is pictured in the thread attached above, and also images of two more.  I have one more when I get round to photographing it.

If anyone wants a copy of my article referred to above (comparing shot glasses), email me. 
Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 11:50:50 PM »
Thansk for those photos, Martin.

Can you get some images of the base section as a straight view through the side of glass? This might help to see how the part with the canes has been formed.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand