Author Topic: Trinket set with distinctive loop-handle candlesticks  (Read 707 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Trinket set with distinctive loop-handle candlesticks
« on: July 23, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
Trinket set in uranium green and a candlestick in the same pattern in amber.

Although the tray and the pots are somewhat nondescript, the loop-handled candlesticks are really distinctive – rather like those from the Bagley Rutland set, but with the centres missing from the ‘wing’ handles.

The candlesticks are 5.25 inches tall, and the bases are approx. 3.75 inches across.

I’ve also recently seen the candlesticks on ebay as part of a ‘set’ on ebay in pink glass, but that set had an obviously-mismatched tray and an odd assortment of pots.

Opinions and ID’s, please?

(Permission for re-use of these image on the GMB granted by ‘bazza131313’).

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
Re: Trinket set with distinctive loop-handle candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
Now there's an interesting set... I have a picture of those candlesticks in a pale pink colour with an entirely different tray and pots, Fred.... and in green with a different tray again! This is another of those puzzlers!

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
I searched back through the ebay completed listings until I found the pink set I had seen and have the original lister's permission to use the photo, so here it is for comparison.

At least I assumed the different tray and pots were mismatched (on the basis that the green uranium set was matched, if you see what I mean?).

Curiouser and curiouser....

(Permission for re-use of this  image on the GMB granted by 'don4ever73')

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
Yes, that's the one I'd seen too Fred. I can't recall where I found the green pic - it's from 2006 though, so not traceable now.  I also found another set of pics (from 2005!) from an eBay sale also in green (uranium) which has the same tray and footed pot as the pink set above, so I'm thinking that's the proper combination. The uranium green set has a ringholder as well.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »
I can also confirm that I have seen the pink version of the set in blue and uranium. I have also seen a full version with different sticks in
uranium-blue which suggests a possible match. (See 3 pics)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item19d1b08207&item=110892188167&nma=true&pt=UK_Art_Glass&rt=nc&si=ygSivxU5%252BneFv9jCTf%252B3%252B23qaaM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
That's not uranium; the glow is wrong and the daylight colour is wrong. All that glows is not uranium; a good 30% of the uranium on ebay is not uranium. That picture is taken in the dark with a big tube; if the set contained uranium you would need your sunglasses. It's manganese.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »
I think the tray with  the pink and blue sets, and the ringholder on the blue set, may be from Anne's Mysytery Set 27.

See also previous post http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40764.msg225958.html#msg225958

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »
Agree Mystery Set 27 Agincourt.

Christine I'm sure you're quite right but, do you mean all blue glass would photo like that under certain lights?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
No. A lot of older glass contains manganese as a decoloriser (it negates the iron that gives the coke bottle green) and that gives a fuzzy dimmish yellowish greenish glow under a UV light. I suspect you find it in coloured glass because the batch recipe starts with the clear glass ingredients and then adds the ingredients for colour. Try your UV light on clear, pink,  amber and non-uranium green. You may need to be in the dark but you will see what I mean: some will glow, some won't.

There is blue uranium glass but that has a knock your socks off UV glow in daylight and is invariably more towards teal
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1617
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1556
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=533

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
I think the tray with  the pink and blue sets, and the ringholder on the blue set, may be from Anne's Mysytery Set 27.

See also previous post http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40764.msg225958.html#msg225958

Agreed, mystery 27 it is. :)  Am still puzzling over the candlesticks...  meanwhile I now have the green tray linked above, thanks to Paul S's kindness & Christine's OH's assistance with delivering it.  8)

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com