No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Val St Lambert...  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Val St Lambert...
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:02:56 PM »
Hi everyone, firstly I'm very glad to hear those of you that met up yesterday had such a great time - I look forward to meeting up with you the next time!

Secondly, on one of my forays to junk and charity shops today I bought this lovely little piece of crystal - it's about 3 inches tall and is signed underneath what I know now is Val St Lambert.  I have to confess this is not an area I know anything about - I just thought it was a lovely thing and it only cost me a few pounds.  Now having looked in my glass ref books I know who made this but internet research is throwing up conflicting information about it's age, the designer and an approximate value.  Can anyone here offer any info?  Thanks in advance as always, Pip.

http://tinypic.com/xm1qhh.jpg

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
Very nice, I expect 1930's.

First refusal please

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:28:33 PM »
hmmm <raised eyebrow>

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:35:20 PM »
Nice piece Pip.  The only pieces of VSL I've come across in junk/charity shops has been clear crystal and not very interesting.  :?
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:51:20 PM »
Very similar designs but no match in 30's cats. Change of style by the 50's.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:28:22 PM »
That's helpful Frank - so we can deduce it's post 30's but pre 50's.  Without knowing anything about it earlier I thought it looked 30's or 40's - but what was confusing me was the attribution to a similar piece on an American site which said 1960's!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 08:54:14 PM »
I don't have all the cats. 1924-61 about 6 so I just compared overall style. There are some very close in 1933

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:11:50 PM »
Well that's ever so sweet of you to look in them - much appreciated.  I'll keep looking online and if I find out anything I'll post it here.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Val St Lambert...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:16:28 PM »
Hey Max - at least you've HEARD of VSL before - I'm a complete novice when it comes to glass pre-1950's (and some would argue post-1950's too!).  Luckily though, the things I tend to like and therefore buy seem to be (on the whole) nice pieces that I have little trouble shifting.  I don't think this little beauty will sit around too long once I eventually get around to selling it! (Frank, I'll let you know first as promised)  :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand