No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID: Ruby Red Etched Grapes Pattern, Unmarked, Vase & Drinking Glass  (Read 975 times)

Offline dimatisah

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Any
    • United States
Hey all! I'm helping a coworker go through tons of stuff, and we came across two pieces that we can't quite ID. They are a drinking glass and large vase that she refers to as "ruby red", showing an etched pattern of grapes and grape vines. She remembers that her mother used them in the 1950s or so, and the set had many pieces, but these are the only two remaining.

I've found similar patterns that also involve big grape leaves, but these two pieces don't have big leaves on. That's what's throwing me off. I'll attach a few shots of the drinking glass, one of which I put a white piece of paper into, so the pattern might be more visible. There are no markings anywhere, and I wonder if they were just some mass-produced tableware? Any help would be... helpful. :)

Thanks!
Jason :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: ID: Ruby Red Etched Grapes Pattern, Unmarked, Vase & Drinking Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
These are lemonades or - to the wine drknking nations -  wine glasses. I guess these were made in Germany or Bohemia circa 1900_1920 but be aware these have been in production from 1850_1950 handling them is needed to be sure. The technique is ruby flash or rather partial ruby flash - if iridescent think rather later than older.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dimatisah

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Any
    • United States
Re: ID: Ruby Red Etched Grapes Pattern, Unmarked, Vase & Drinking Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:25:42 PM »
Here's a photo of the afore-pictured little glass next to his ginormous brother, which I'm told my friend's mother used as a large vase. Unless you have a superhuman thirst, that was probably the correct usage for this behemoth. :)

The glass stands 5 1/4" tall, the vase 9 3/4".

Jason

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand