No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maestro Cimarosto Murano Concentric Paperweight  (Read 2512 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Maestro Cimarosto Murano Concentric Paperweight
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »
Hi All
I've just got this very nice concentric paperweight and it is one of the finest Murano weights I have ever seen as the canes are perfectly placed and it almost magnum sized at 3 3/8".

It is signed "Maestro Cimarosto Murano '93" but there are so many glassmakers on Murano I don't know them all and I have never heard of this one so can anyone tell me anything about this glassmaker please.

Thanks
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Maestro Cimarosto Murano Concentric Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
Thanks Frank - could well be the same maker but there a no millifiore weights shown in his catalogue
Dave

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
Born in Canada so prob speaks English so worth contacting. Dates are a bit off for him to style himself Maestro in 93 but I guess he would know of any other Cimarosto' s in Murano.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »

On the subject of Murano makers, I got an interesting email a few days ago from someone in Murano.

He told me that 'Antica Murrina Veneziana' have never had  a factory or offices on Murano; that their main office is on the mainland north of Venice; and that they send Murano canes to their production factory at Settat in Morocco.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
That's a bit of interesting news Alan, Antica make some nice weights and here is one I have of trees and birds
Dave

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »

Hi Dave.

I cannot verify all the things I was told, but the offices are at 7 Via Cesare Battisti, 30030 Olmo di Martellago.  This is a small town on the mainland about 6 miles from Venice, and on Google street view you can find a 3 story building with their name on.  It could be a factory, or just a warehouse and offices - hard to tell. But their base does not appear to be in Murano, or even in Venice itself.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
From what I heard from friends and other glassblowers, many of the companies have moved from Murano to the mainland. Overhead on Murano was too costly and everything had to be brought in by boat and shipped by boat. The cost of living was exorbitant and I was told that the Chinese had actually purchased several of the larger companies on the island. Many of the companies have very limited production and quite a few have closed. I had read several articles not too long ago about the fact they were tearing down the factories and replacing them with tourist condos and hotels.
Getting materials and energy to run a large scale production glass factory is not easy when everything has to brought in via gondola. Hopefully the craftsmen will follow the move to where they can adjust their costs to a location that allows them to continue.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »

I have been sent a relevant link to this topic by Toni Chambers : New York Times article .

alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand