No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Goldberg or Moser?Amethyst cologne Acid Cut Back gilded panel birds/flowers  (Read 22798 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm hoping someone recognises the design of the Acid Cut Back gilded decoration of birds and flowers.  It's a beautiful deep amethyst,nightmare to photograph though.  Excellent quality piece (hoping not Walther). The band is acid cut back - It has oval sideways lenses cut along the should and vertical facets from the band down to the base.  The stopper is cut at the top and has gilt lines on it.  Stopper has a gilded no 5 on it,nothing on the bottle but I'm sure they are a match.  The bottle had plain gilded bands around the top and bottom of the ACB decoration but they are worn away.  Base is polished completely flat and bevelled at the edge.  Goldberg used the lens decoration on a couple of pieces in Truitts that also have the ACB decoration, but those have figures not the birds and flowers.  Goldberg also used the Acid Cut Back with that gritty background.  I can find reference to Moser using it but none that have that texture so far.
It's about 5 1/2" tall (14cm  ish?)  The gilding is mostly there although it may not look like it in the photos.  Looks fantastic lit up but I can't seem to photograph it well  ::)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
more pics

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
hopefully one more close up

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Hi

this one has always stumped the experts

definitely not Moser

I seen two examples of this design in Museums

Passau, in Bavaria, has it in a cabinet - just marked Haida and Steinschönau

Whereas closer to its likely home, in Jablonec, I found an example marked:

Oroplastic decor 1910-1925: The Ceska Lipa area  - (some miles SW of Jablonec I think)

Now I think neither of these descriptions totally excludes Goldberg, but I suspect it was from another smaller central bohemian/Czechoslovakian  refiner

cheers

Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Mike thanks so much.  I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge  :)  I'd come down on the side of not Moser and thought Goldberg was a possibility - but I've not been able to find anything to match them to the pattern apart from the facetting on the bottle, so at least I know I was going down the right route.  Hopefully something will surface in time.  Meanwhile it is very nice to know I have a piece that has a relative in a museum - do you remember what shape the piece was you saw btw?  I've not seen anything like this (assume it's a cologne bottle) having searched through all the pics in Truitts including the catalogue reprints etc.  The only thing I did I think spot was that Palda also seemed to do this gilded frieze but I coudn't see any of the detail on the pictures.  And do you know what the birds are at all please?
Thanks once again.  I'm grateful.
m

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Hi

I never worked out what the bird is -the romantic in me wants them to be a phoenix but they could be anything!

yes I think yours is a cologne bottle or a perfume from a traditional 3 or 4 part Bohemian dressing table suite

The example in Jablonec is a elegant tall dekal pokal (lidded glass) and the one in Passau is a faceted bullet-shape vase.

Thinking about it as they were almost certainly done by a refiner (ie not a glass maker but a decorator) theoretically the blanks could be by Moser -but lots of people did such blanks -the blanks could even be Riedel or Josephine -just possibly Harrach.

cheers

M

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you :)
I will keep an eye out now to see if I can find a match for the pattern (or the set somehow).  I suppose unlikely but you never know  :)
It is a similar design to a phoenix - I wonder if that has any symbolic meaning to the company or whether it is just another 'mythical' design as many of the other oroplastic pieces seem to use mythology in some way although always incorporating people as well.  I did find two other pieces that are a little different, the elephant one in Truitt's and also a Moser piece that was just flowers/scrolls type thing. 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
searching for something else I came across this Steinschonau cologne.
I guess it may have been the style then but the stopper reminded me of mine.  That curious straight up piece with a cut top into a point
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8852923
m

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
There is a powder bowl Ebay listing labelled, which looks like a similar design, listed as Waltherglas "Hellas", also if you seach Google images "Walther Amethyst" or search Ebay "Walther Amethyst" more items appear.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Artdeco-Glass-bowl-lid-ca-1920-Hellas-Waltherglas-Bohemia-like-Moser-/180898167953

Lovely bottle by the way. :)

Edit : Oh, now I google Moser Amethyst many items appear also, shows what I know. ;D
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just putting this on here for some similarities with the cutting although I guess that could be said of other pieces as well, but this one is marked Haida
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110930902721?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I like the green.

Jayne, thanks for looking  :)  I am pretty sure it isn't Walther.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand