Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Goldberg or Moser?Amethyst cologne Acid Cut Back gilded panel birds/flowers  (Read 4572 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.elementsgallery.com/gallery/?command=showitem&itemId=370&itemnum=21
signed Oertel lidded oroplastic box - bird decoration but not phoenix
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Well, well, well....
I'm sure just as soon as I post this my bubble will be well and truly popped...but post I shall, nonetheless ;D
In Miller's 20th Century Glass by Andy McConnell, page 55 plate 6 there is da da da..... an amethyst cut and faceted footed vase with the 'Phoenix' decoration the same as my perfume bottle and it's a signed Moser piece!!!!!
Described as ' Middle: Signed Moser example in violet cut glass, c1925'

m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
M I've had a Moser perfume & atomizer confirmed using the Moser contact info during the past two years & they stated perfume bottles/atomizers were rarely signed...the were sold with a velvet bag & box & carried a label.  Ken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
<grin> in the book that managed to skip Holland, Norway and most of Germany - you'd wonder just how it was signed.
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Ken :)  I assumed they didn't sign the smaller pieces but that's really good to get it confirmed. To try and get a match on the oroplastic or acid cutback design,  I'd been looking for the matching 'Phoenix' design on a larger piece to see if I could find a signed one - and finally in the Miller's book I did  ;D
So now two pieces of information that would back up my piece being Moser - thank you!

Ivo...as I said...how long before that bubble was popped  ;D
So what do I do?  In Millers that amethyst vase was used as the 'genuine' Moser example to show how others had copied the Moser oroplastic design.  He used a Walther pressed piece and a citrine coloured cut vase unsigned (stating it was a superior piece) to demonstrate v the amethyst signed Moser piece.  That might be taking it a bit far if he was using an unsigned Moser piece or one that had a dubious signature as the comparison 'genuine Moser' piece?  or wouldn't it?  Since I've been shot down in flames for questioning Truitt's I rather step back from openly questioning books now  :-[
m

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Ivo maybe in their terms a label = signed?  I've seen that more than once. Ken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ken, I assumed Ivo was questioning the fact that the piece in Miller's was stated as a 'signed' piece but did not show a photograph of the signature ie it might not have been a genuine signature on the piece used.
Ivo, please correct me if I have interpreted your post incorrectly
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
    • old website
Ask Moser. They're really nice people and they know about these things. The piece may be signed - but how? By whom?
Ivo
► BLUE HENRY ◄
 New Book: The Almost Forgotten Story of the Blue Glass Sputum Flask

all texts and pictures (c) Ivo Haanstra.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've sent an email to Moser.  I'll let you know if they respond.
Thank you.
m

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
The bird looks very much like the Asiatic Pheasant  popular on china  :)

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand