No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I may have found (holds breathe) my first Clichy.  (Read 2187 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
I may have found (holds breathe) my first Clichy.
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »
I bought this extremely battered Pwt for $10 at a dealer's yesterday. 

I did so as I felt that the canes are excellent and the pink ones look somewhat like I think a Clichy rose should look like.  The damage is bad - rough on the top, that dirty ring around the shoulder, a bruise on the side and significant dame to the edge of the base.  BUT that base is nicely finished - slightly dished.  The canes are set in an inverted dish shape and nicely thin.  So I am hoping I have an example of a nice early pwt - perhaps even a Clichy.

Diameter = 45mms, Depth = 31mms

Ross

PS  Will post 5 photos using a reply for the last two
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: I may have found (holds breathe) my first Clichy.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »
The profile piccies.

Ross

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »
You lucky dawg! It sure looks like a Clichy to me. Those roses are really pretty. Such a nice bright pink and green.

I think it would be worthwhile to get the dings ground out.

Congratulations!
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »

Yes - that is a Clichy.

There is probably enough clear glass to have it restored, but remember that cracks under bruises run into the glass maybe twice as deep as the bruise diameter, and that is one big bruise where the base edge has flaked away.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
Thanks Alan.

Two requests - (1) Any idea of when it might have been made? 
                      (2) Do you know where I might get the top repaired.  I have not been able to source someone here in Australia - but am willing to be advised if anyone knows of a good worker.  I suspect that a tidy up of the top is probable sufficiently risky and the base would probably be too hard to fix.

Ross

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »
Looks to me like a typical piece from 1845 - 1860.  I don't believe they made many paperweights after that period, and the last time they exhibited glass products was 1885. The factory was sold in1889.

There are people at the Ruskin Glass Centre in Stourbridge who make a good job of restoration, at a reasonable price. They are called Redhouse Glass Crafts (you can Google them). However, shipping each way would add significantly to the cost.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:10:02 PM »
Great find Ross, well spotted.

I think I I have used this guy to polish out  a chip on the nose of a Wedgwood animal. (I remember the location - not the name)  He did a good job. Might be worth a phone call if you cannot find anyone in Melbourne.  Cost about $40 for my repair.

Sentimental value
 37 Warragoon Crs Attadale WA 6156‎
(08) 9330 3978.

But I also googled glass and china repairs Melbourne and Yellow pages came up with a list of about 10 or so.
regards

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 03:09:40 PM »
Very nice.   My wife found one very similar about nine years ago in the same condition and price.  We didn't know anything about repairs then, so after a while we put it for sale on ebay showing all the damage and it made quite a good price and it went to America for restoration.
       I won't tell you the price it made because its rather personal to the buyer, whose ebay name was "photo", a very well known collector etc in the USA. (I didn't know for about 5 years who it was).
       But if you prefer to keep it,  its repairable but personally I wouldn't go the 100% restoration as its 150-160 years old and would lose its character, but it would look gorgeous from the display point of view.
      Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand