No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mini Star Shape Millifiori Paperweight? ID = Murano. Possibly Fratelli Toso?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Hi all,  I recently acquired this unusual looking paperweight.  My first thoughts were possible Chinese.  I have looked this up but to no avail.   I have tried other sites but nothing with that peculiar design.  The base is relatively flat but mainly worn on one side, which may not be clear on the attached pictures.  Any ideas as to who made it?  Measurements:  Dia. 4.4cm, Height 3.2cm and a flat polished base measuring approximately 2.9cm dia.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Re: Mini Star Shape Millifiori Paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:53:07 PM »
The canes look very Murano to me.

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:30:55 AM »

Agreed - 100% Murano.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »
Hi All

It looks like they have used the thick end of a complex cane to make the design, so it is a one cane weight. Most unusual

Roy

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
Hi all,  Thanks for your attribution.   I must say, I would never of thought it would be Murano.  That is certainly pleasing to know.   I have spent a couple of hours trying to research this type of design but unable to find any that are similar when paying attention to the pattern.  When you say "one cane weight" Roy.  Does that include the pleated aubergine and white  design? The 7 canes within the centre, are very small and intricate compared to some of the more common canes I've seen and each are only approx. 0.3cm in dia.  It would also be interesting find out who actually made this paperweight and period.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:01:27 AM »

Hi Otis.

If you scan through my Murano Project images on my website you will find very similar canes in Fratelli Toso weights - but that does not guarantee it was made by them.  As for date, I would guess 1960s - 1980s.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Hi Otis

Yes that includes everything. Often to make a complex cane they combine other canes and then add the outer coating to make just one complex cane which can then be pulled to any diameter required. This always leaves the thicker ends attached to the pontil rods which are usually discarded. I think in this case they have used them.

Just a suggestion!!

Roy

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Thanks! for the info. Roy, a clearer understanding in the process is beginning to sink in now.  ::)

Lots of info. available on the Murano Project Site.  Wow! well displayed too.  Having zoomed in on the Fratelli Toso paperweights as per your reference Alan, I noticed that most of the canes had three layers of star shape design around the centre red cane, where as, the one displayed on this post has two.  Would this  be one of your reasons for not being able to provide a positive identification? just a question to further my knowledge and understanding.

I spent the evening browsing for further info. and whilst rifling through my paperweights collected over a good number of years with interest.   To my surprise, I managed to find one that is very similar to the one posted.  The shape of the paperweight is more oval and slightly larger, but still contains the same characteristics.  The only main difference is the outer white star shape band, that is thinner.  I tried searching for one with this particular style on your site and other sites, but not had much luck.  The dimensions of this paperweigh is Height 4.2cm, widest point 4.6cm and the flat base dia. 3.2cm.  Here are the attached pics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand