No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Giant Thistle Vase. ID = Phoenix Galss Co.  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Giant Thistle Vase. ID = Phoenix Galss Co.
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
So I am seriously considering this (for me) pricey item. It sang very softly at first, but with increasing volume. However, having problems finding out more about it. Currently trolling the label galleries to see if I can find anything similar. Love the colour (soft celedon). About 18 to 24".

Please help if you can...

Carolyn

Ooops, forgot to tell you about the label. Round, gold on black, bordered with silver, says on the left Sculp and on the right Artiv and then down below NIX (give there is a bird taking flight in the middle, would PHOENIX be too obvious).

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Giant Thistle Vase
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »
Okay, so I have managed to answer my own question (I'm so proud!).

This is a piece of Phoenix Sculptured Artware. Looks like, given the label colours, it was made sometime between 1936 and 1958 (pieces were made after that, but singular colours). And the price of $195 does not look unreasonable (it's in pristine shape).

The top of the label would say "Sculptured Artware" and then "Phoenix" on the bottom. The label was basically round, but with arms out where Artware and where Phoenix would be written. Now I just have to decide if I should spend $200 just before my holidays. Oh, and it's not a Phoenix, it's an eagle.

Carolyn

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:04:41 AM »
Its your basic Phoenix Galss Co. 18" Thistle Umbrella vase & they are not at all uncommon. $125 would be at least somewhat reasonable, anything over that...well only if you can't absolutely live without it.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
I caved. $175, but what a thing of beauty! Very tactile. Mind you, a Jack D. Wilson who has apparently written books on the beasties says they are selling for $300 - 400 US so $175 Cdn is not that bad. And the singing has turned into a full opera chorus and orchestra. Here are pictures taken with a real camera now that I have gotten it home. Please feel free to make use of the label for the gallery (or is that something I should do?)

Carolyn

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
Nice to get something that talks to you  ;D great feeling.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:47:31 PM »
I love it. It went beyond talking and sang to me. Nice purchase, Carolyn.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:15:34 AM »
Coincidentally, just came back from the same antique show. No grand opera for me today, unfortunately. But the vase is nicely settled in her new home in my living room.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand