No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass frosted uranium green cake stand epns stand branches pattern  (Read 1944 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Those are butterfly cakes!  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes - in a rush and couldn't remember the name of them  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Nice cake stand! I saw one a few weeks back in pink, wanted to buy it but it went way over my budget! The stand and button look very different though, and the flutes aren't there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item20c666dd32&item=140767583538&nma=true&pt=UK_Art_Glass&rt=nc&si=jjEsk8sS9bFmSdR5vZT4kVHSCio%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Jayne thanks!!
So, did Bagley do that pink?  Mine is not shiny on the inside it is frosted as well as on the outside btw.  That stand, the one I saw had more similarities with that (maybe the same?) apparently on a Bagley Cakestand but I couldn't check the link when I clicked on it to see if it really was. I'm sure my stand is original to the plate and I honestly don't think it's been off the plate before I unscrewed it.  And my green is near as darnit if not identical to what I think is a Bagley frog but if they didn't do pink then I guess that might be the decider  :-\

Offline meegs

• Members
I too have one of these plates . I have it displayed with a few pieces of Uranium Bagley and it is a good colour match in different lights with the Bagley pieces. I perceive however as being a  much more solid plate than the other Bagley cake plates I have.
I picked up the plate by itself at a flea market so the stand is not original.
Cheers
meegs

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Meegs - I meant to reply but forgot, I took it outside yesterday in the sun, and I could see a tiny difference ion colour as well - I wasn't sure though whether that was the U factor in the one and not the other, and thank you for comparing to your plates :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
well it might be just that I never look for these things but here's another in pink and I'm getting suspicious - maybe wrongly.

Apparently with this one, according to the blurb, when you've finished with it you can just 'fold it up' and put it away  ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Beautiful-Old-1930s-Vintage-Shabby-Chic-Frost-Pink-Glass-Petal-Cupcake-Stand-/120960047991?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item1c29c7db77

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Why are you getting suspicious?
I think it's pretty handy that
It's nicely embellished with an ornate glass top.
Quite a handy embellishment for a cake stand!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
rofl
well only because suddenly we have a collection of them.  And it's not been on the board before.   Also I have to admit to being astonished that the top of it is also frosted. I would have expected a good design to be frosted underneath and plain on top - but perhaps that is too complex a process in terms of producing the glass?
Having said that, it really does look as though my stand has never been off the plate in fairness.

m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
It's probably just something nobody has ever bothered to ask about or just that you can't find the thread. A lot of stuff is frosted on top. It probably just means the whole thing was either dipped or blasted - much cheaper to do it all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand