No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: sand blast decorated Sowerby tumbler  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
sand blast decorated Sowerby tumbler
« on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
As an undecorated tumbler this pattern seems first to appear in Book 15 - September 1895 - alghough having said that there are reams of Sowerby pressed tumblers with imitation sliced cut decoration, and I may have missed seeing it in an earlier catalogue.       Sowerby did offer both acid etching and wheel engraving on their own glasses - but not sand blast decoration such as this - with sand blasting the image becomes very granular and is easy to tell apart from acid etching - so do we assume this wording was an outsouced addition to the glass?         For a tumbler, this one is very clean  -  exactly when it was pressed I haven't a clue - but was curious to know if people considered that this motto (PEACE AND PLENTY) might be related to some particular late C19 or C20 event - certainly this method of decoration was commonplace in the 1890's, and perhaps for some years after.           Might the end of the fourteen - eighteen war be a possibility?
thanks for looking. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: sand blast decorated Sowerby tumbler
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
I have a vague memory jingling that the words have a connection with the Chartist movement, Paul. Might be worth a rummage and see what you can track down?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
many thanks for your reply Anne.               I can imagine the connection between male suffrage and the desire for peace and plenty.........although having squinted around the internet a little I haven't yet run down proof of your suggestion.       Sounds likely though, so will look again.  :)   

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:14:24 PM »
It was a phrase associated with the fight against the Corn Laws in the 1840s but was in common use since the dawn of time! You might have more luck in pinning down when the phrase slipped out of everyday use.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:45:17 AM »
Corn Laws, not Chartists! Thanks Neil, I was trying to recall what it was from old long gone school history lessons. :)

Mentioned here from the Corn Laws: Review of the Evidence taken before the Select Committee of the House of Commons on Agricultural Distress 1836 (page 56):
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_U0KAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA56&ots=-fHoVlDyqU&dq=%22peace%20and%20plenty%22%20%2B%22corn%20laws%22&pg=PA56#v=onepage&q=%22peace%20and%20plenty%22%20+%22corn%20laws%22&f=false
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »
thanks to both for help with this query.        Tumblers are a rich source for providing social commentary from the C19, and it's amazing what else you learn when you take up glass collecting.            Date wise I'd probably go with late C19 then.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
seems I was a little hasty in my search of the Sowerby Pattern Book 15 - and there is in fact a very small section on page 37 headed 'Motto Tumblers'  -  showing an identical example with this wording.           

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand