No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VSL large cut vase colbalt blue / uranium clear base  (Read 9749 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
VSL large cut vase colbalt blue / uranium clear base
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
A large cut glass vase outer colbalt blue inner uranium glass with a clear base.

I am pretty sure its Val St Lambert from about the 1920's.

Height 10" or 25cm

Weight 1930 gm or 4.4 pounds.

Pictures were teaken with flash , pictures 3and 4 are a true colour.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: VSL large cut vase colbalt blue / uranium clear base
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
very attractive Roy.     I assume Pamela's glas-musterbuch notes on VSL are for pressed glass only.       You might like to look at Gerry LaCroix's web comments 'How do you know it's Val-St.-Lambert'  -  may not really help but certainly very interesting  - 
http://www.cutglass.org/articles/val.pdf  -  I hope this works. :-\          One of the triple colour tazza cut patterns he shows occurs in Millers '20th Century Glass' - by Judith Miller (page 163).                      Is the base polished flat - and what is the extent of wear?     A lot of VSL is stylus signed, but how far back this practise started I've no idea, but Ivo might have better information.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
Thanks Paul

When I bought I first thought VSL but could not see any mark untill I was outside.

The base is concaved and there is a faint acid etched mark which I think is VSL but cannot read although it has the outer circle and a inner circle with words between the 2 circles and I think a pattern in the center which seems to be right for VSL I hope.

Looking down into the vase a nice colbalt blue base.

Plenty of wear to the outer rim.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
looking at my link (which you can probably re-arrange yourself in order to access) - there doesn't appear to be a backstamp forming a circle containing words, as such.        VSL did/do produce a paper label which contained their name in full plus the word Belgium - all arranged in a circle.         What is this pattern that "seems to be right for VSL?"  ;D            Almost all of their backstamps were/are stylus formed, but an acid one was produced.
Regret that I'm the least knowedgable about Belgian glass - so unable to comment with any authority  -  I think this is the blind (me) leading the not quite so blind ;)
However, it's a very nice vase - was it that town we both know of, again.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:10:32 AM »
Paul

Yes I agree there is  a paper label which looks similar which has a flower pattern in the middle, maybe they did also use an acid mark as well . I could be totally wrong and it could be a czech mark but I do not think so .

Will have to wait and see what other people think

I bought the vase at the Kempton fair .

Thanks again

Roy

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:36 AM »
VSL would be most people's first guess as they were probably the most prolific maker of colour-cut-to-colour.
Even  after heavy editing (crop & increase contrast massively) I still can't make out the letters on the stamp. It does seem to be in an odd script which may be VSL's cursive style.
Pete
Pete

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:03:43 AM »
Thanks Pete

Thanks for trying to edit the mark. Someone has said to me could it be the remains of a paper label, I am not sure  I know that I have polished the base to remove any smears several times to try and get a clearer look and the mark seems to be permanent. I will wait until I am home when day light and have another look. If it is a stamp I think it looks like it was not a clean stamp and may have been slightly smudge so to make it difficult to get a clear image

Thanks Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
The talcum powder or cornflour trick might bring the stamp up a bit better?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
Remains of a label is perfectly possible. There have been many instances of that reported here over the years.

Examples of labels at
www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/mark.htm and
www.hogelandshoeve.nl/index75.html

A high resolution image of just the mark itself should give much better results. I know it's tricky as modern cameras seek out something sharp & high contrast to focus on. Try manual focus and or macro, if you have those functions.
Pete

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »
looking at the VSL labels in all of the links provided, it does seem that they all show a drawn image of a cut star in the centre of the label  -  don't know if this helps Roy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand