No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux webb greek key miniature ice bucket?  (Read 460 times)

bfg

Molineaux webb greek key miniature ice bucket?
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
I've been mulling over this for some time, I have a pair, I'm sure they should be MW but I can't match them exactly.

I've found Neil's catalogues on the board and the closest I can get is the unregistered 744 misc bucket of unknown use

The greek key panel is cut into the sandblasted surface, not pressed,  the body is 2 and a 1/4 inches deep (+ handles) x 2 and a 1/2 wide

any opinions / pointers welcomed

Cheers!
Mel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Molineaux webb greek key miniature ice bucket?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
 could they be salts?
I've seen this bucket shape salt in other makers, I think Daum (just an example, not suggesting this is)?  perhaps it was popular at one time as a salt shape?
The greek key design may not mean Molineaux Webb - I can't think it's 'exclusive' to them only?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

bfg

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »
I did wonder about salts m, however all the bucket ones I've found seem to be squarer and more squat than this which seems taller, tapered and more elegant. Perhaps for toothpicks maybe?

and yes, I dont think greek key was exclusive to MW was it?

I don't know. my eyes hurt, I've looked at so many images online. think I need a large hot chocolate!

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »
The Greek Key certainly wasn't exclusive to MW. They did use the motif quite heavily and in their cut glass pattern book, about 5-10% of all pieces have the Greek Key design. In the mid 1860s they launched ranges of frosted Greek Key patterns for tableware sets in cut and pressed glass, which is probably an accurate lower date for your item. There are no bucket-type objects in the cut pattern book I'm afraid, so it is guesswork whether MW made this or not.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

bfg

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
thanks for taking the time to look in your pattern book Neil, much appreciated

Mel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand