No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall ribbed clear vase with enamel flowers/gilt - Bohemian or French or?  (Read 603 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I thought this might be French?  but I'm veering between French and Bohemian.
Tall, approx 12" or exactly 30.5cm and the base is 13.5 cm at widest point - optically ribbed. You can't feel the ribs on the outside until about 3 inches from the top, then you can feel them on the outside and the inside, whereas further down they are just on the inside.  The rim is cut, polished and bevelled neatly on the inside and the out and then gilded.  The bevelling on the outside is curved on each rib like a downwards semicircle, beautifully done.   The base is mould blown and actually has a small 'foot' narrower than the ribbed bulge of the vase, but then has been deliberately polished to sit flat which looks like a giant circular pontil mark.   The enamel is in excellent condition and the twigs, tendrils are all in lilac enamel.  The gilded rim is worn but looks as though it was that kind of 'sponged' gilding that came about an inch down the vase.
any thought much appreciated please  :sun:
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Tall ribbed clear vase with enamel flowers/gilt - Bohemian or French or?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
Looks Legras to me - both the colour of the glass and the colour of enamel.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Tall ribbed clear vase with enamel flowers/gilt - Bohemian or French or?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »
oooh thanks so much Ivo, I was hoping so  :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-BOHEMIAN-MOSER-ART-GLASS-ENAMEL-SWIRL-GREEN-VASE-/400310630029?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item5d345f768d

Same enamelling as my vase.  Any further thoughts with a new shape and colour to add in to the mix please?
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand