No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: variants of Monart SC shape ?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
variants of Monart SC shape ?
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
The photos here are of what I believe to  be a variant of the Monart SC shape and possibly an unrecorded shape. The first photo is a SC shape, what makes this one different it has a stopper as opposed to the one in the Monart catalogue which has not. The label and the piece is genuine, I have handled this piece and did bid on it.
http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=205++++++++3+&refno=++100063
The second is in the Perth museum collection, the neck on this one is much longer than the example in the Monart catalogue. The photo of this one is of poor quality, but I am going to Perth museum next to view the Monart archives and glass collection, so I will get a clearer image and measure it.
Gary

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: variants of Monart SC shape ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
Up date on my recent visit to Perth museum, below is a clearer image of Monart piece with dimensions included and a image of the base, which is indicative of early Monart production( no grinding of outer ring). The colour code is 162.
This piece is 33cm (13inches) tall and the one in the Monart catalogue is 23cm (9 inches), without other pieces to compare and measure against, it will be difficult to say if this one is an unrecorded shape or a variation of the Monart SC shape.
Does any member have a Monart shape SC ?, if so would it be possible to measure  the piece to compare with this one.
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »
I have a question - when you say early Monart production, what period do you mean please?
thanks
m

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:25:15 PM »
That type of finish was used mainly in the period 1924 (the start of Monart production) to approximately 1929.
http://www.ysartglass.com/BaseLabel/Bases.htm
Gary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:44 PM »
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
Hi,

It is of course quite possible that the way a piece of Monart is finished could relate to the shape being made, just as much as its chronology. Maybe this should be bourne in mind?

I know you're very careful about these things Gary, so just flagging up a thought ;) :)

Nigel

(PS. I haven't forgotten Gary, just had lots of domain and email problems - now sorted, but I'm away just now.)

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »
I own the shape SC with stopper.  ;D

I also owned until recently another smaller SC without the stopper, the new owner is a friend and contributes to the Forum.   I know he hasn't as yet unpacked the bottle.   When I originally purchased it I believed it would be the same height as the decanter, but it's much, much smaller, no more than 7" in height.    I have no doubt if I sent the new owner an e/mail, he'd be able to confirm dimensions and may be provide a better picture

Mary

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »
2 pics of decanter

[Mod: Duplicate image deleted]

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »
try again - second pic should be of the base  !!!

[Mod: Duplicate image removed]

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »
Good point Nigel, but I did say "was mainly used" perhaps It should have been "mainly found". To date no post war pieces (1947-1961) has been unidentified with that type of finish. That leaves the pre war period (1924-1939) and every piece of Monart with a Monart Ware label (1924-1929/30) that I have owned, seen and have images of, have this type of finish. The only period left is when the Monart Glass label with the size, shape and colour code was in use (1929/30-1939), so far I have only come across one labeled piece from this period with that type of base finish.
Thanks Mary that would be great. Did you purchase the red and black SC at Burns auction house (2009).

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand