No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: variants of Monart SC shape ?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline helenaJ

• Members
Re: variants of Monart SC shape ?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
I think you may be right about the date.  Know I was living in France, so could well be - everything I have at the moment is still in storage, so I'm unable to check it out.   

I was a bit disappointed when it arrived and I saw the size of it, but the colours are brilliant, it's almost a solid red rising to black with lots of aventurine.   

Were you the under-bidder for the decanter?   I never expected to pay that much, but the pics don't do justice to the wonderful colours, just wish I could find the glasses that must have been with it originally. !!!!

Mary

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
I was the under bidder and a bit disappointed in not winning it (sorry for puttting price up), the colours are brilliant and you are right the picture does not do it justice. I have few pieces of that colour scheme (colour code 156) and I can never take a photo showing the true vibrant colour of the red.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
Seems like some more work on shape variants is needed... fascinating. But you can always be sure that Monart will always surprise... one of its best features quite aside from being one of the most documented - but I never doubt as much again can be written. It is one of the most remarkable aspects of the Ysart family's glass.

Just had a small deja-vu to that day nearly 30 years ago when I first discovered Monart and realised it was something special.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 08:27:49 PM »
It is of course quite possible that the way a piece of Monart is finished could relate to the shape being made, just as much as its chronology. Maybe this should be bourne in mind?

With further research into Monart bases and pontil marks, I have come to the conclusion that a particular Monart shape does not determine what type of base and pontil mark is used on said piece.
The link below shows a selection of various Monart shapes with a variety of bases and pontil marks.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=991

The first two images are Monart shape AE, the next three are shape A, next two shape FA, next three shape FB, next two shape RB, next two shape WK, the next two shape WH and the last two shape Z.
As can be seen the shape of the piece does not determine the type of base and pontil mark finish.

Frank Andrews touched on the subject of dating a piece of Monart by the base and pontil mark (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3692.msg29304.html#msg29304), my conclusion are, in the main the type of finish of the base and pontil mark on a piece can be put in chronological order. I believe the first type of finished used by Monart was, no grinding to the base and some grinding on the pontil mark, see shape A,FB and Z  with Monart Ware label, the second was with a polished base and some grinding to pontil mark, see shape FB with pre war Monart Glass label and the third was polished base and pontil mark, see shape Z with post war Monart Glass label.

There is two other types base and pontil mark finish, one has the base polished and a concaved pontil mark and the other is when a piece has been polished completely flat with the pontil mark polished out, these two type of finishes were used throughout the life span of Monart. These can be seen on shape WH in link to glassgallery.
My research is still ongoing, if any members have a Monart piece with different type of finish other than I have described, please let me know.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand