No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aubergine 12" Rectangular Textured  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • British, Czech, Scandanavian
    • England
Aubergine 12" Rectangular Textured
« on: August 04, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
I am pretty new to collecting as most of what I own I inherited a couple of months back and I have really caught the bug.

I recently acquired a pair of Aubergine textured vases, rectangular with a ground pontil from the 60s/70s. I am sure they aren't Whitefriars despite often being marketed as such. I would really love to know what they are (maker isn't going to upset me I love them, I just have a really curious nature).

I started off thinking they might be Ingrid Glass but I am not sure at all.

I'd be really happy if someone could identify them for me.

Thanks
Fox

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Aubergine 12" Rectangular Textured
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
I'm not sure who actually made them, but these were being sold brand new at British Heart Foundation charity shops a few years ago.  Ingrid did a similar shaped bark vase in a similar colour, but the rim is ground flat and polished.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
Are you sure these are the HFS ones, Wayne?
I don't remember them having such "proper" base finishes, or looking quite so substantial.
It's hard to tell with the photos showing different shades of purple! The HFS ones were much more like the last images, but if the true colour is more like the top ones, they could be from elsewhere.
I'm afraid I can't remember the actual texture of the HFS ones to compare. :-[

Oh, welcome to the gmb, foxfurie!  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
The colour is more like the top two images. They are very dark in colour. Although I didn't pay much for them, the seller was absolutely adamant they have been in the family since the 70s at least. I mean obviously that could be an obfuscation but they don't seem new, and they are very thick glass.

Oh and thanks for the welcome!

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »
Well, it's been a while since I've seen any in the flesh Sue, but I agree the last 2 pics look more like what I'm thinking of than the first 2 pics, so hmmm, not so sure then!  And sorry yes, welcome to the GMB Fox!  Oh, what size are they please?

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »
I am   99% sure they are the Charity shop ones, they were fairly substantial and had a pontil mark on base.  They came in several different colours - from memory this mauve, pink and clear.  There were in the shops in my early days of collecting Whitefriars, and I was almost fooled! also in about three sizes if memory serves me well.  There are several on ebay at the moment. I don't rule out these being the HFS vases could be something else, but I am 100% sure they are not Whitefiars.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:09 PM »
Agree Wayne, these were all over the message boards a few years ago, mostly being described Whitefriars definitely the BHF one's  I am in no doubt  same colour, pattern and base finish, modern Chinese around 5 or 6 years old would be my guess.
http://www.whitefriars.com/isit_contents.php?ID=8722

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
They are 1 foot tall and 4 inches wide.

Definitely didn't think they were Whitefriars, they didn't do bark in a rectangle.

They could be the BHF ones, they just seem too dark, more brown than purple, and the pattern is very raised. On the BHF ones I have seen the colour seems washed out and the pattern very shallow and more uniform. Even if they are the BHF they do actually look rather pretty and I wasn't buying them for the maker.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
Hi, no problem buying something you like, after all it would not do for everyone  to like the same thing, the problem within the collecting community over the years that  unscrupulous sellers have been describing these as Whitefriars and have often changed hands for good money to unsuspecting new collectors..
Chris

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
I definitely agree with that, Chris. I suspect I have paid a little more than I would have done if I had known they were not 60/70s as the seller said - though she never claimed they were Whitefriars. I just don't think it's worth getting all uptight and upset about, though stern words shall be had with the seller!

I think if I didn't like them in their own right, and they didn't hit the spot with my study decor I might have been really upset!

Fox

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand