No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quality Bohemian uranium white cased yellow vase - enamel & gilded decoration  (Read 2695 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I just put this on here for fun really.  I'm supposed to be doing other boring things :)
 I'm not too bothered who made it but thoughts would be nice :)

I'm very fond of these vases and this type of cased old glass - they are all different, all have white interiors, but are top quality and quite heavy for size.  As an example the red Carnelian vase weighs about 1lb or just under 1/2kg, compared to the opaque 'Bohemian' vases enamelled with flowers, often sold as 'Bristol enamelled vase', of the same size that weighs just 200grms.

This yellow ball vase is mould blown I thought from the top,  with an impeccably neat base (matt ring of wear around the outer edge) but has a firepolished rim.  Perhaps it was freeblown? The white interior is thick and is uranium glass. The rim measures 3.5-4mm  The gilding is sadly worn to a shadow as it would have looked stupendous when it was new. 
It's a large piece at 5 3/4" tall (14.5cm) by 6 1/4 diameter (16cm ).
The yellow is a true perfect yellow, not caramel or amberish
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
All great pieces,any chance of a close up on the ball vase enamel work,I should be doing boring stuff also,promised to do some sewing! :o :o ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
close ups  and thanks :)
The gilding or what's left of it, goes all round the vase in branches and leaves.  There are groups of the white enamel (which I think is quite old) flowers all round as well with the odd falling petal here and there.  There should have been a gilded ring around the neck of the rim and on the rim.  The one on the rim is mostly gone, the one around the neck is faintly mostly there.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Somehow it doesn't scream Bohemia to me but... (PS I have just done a bit more editing but no HW)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 ;D
oh... hmmm, perhaps I just wrongly veered straight to Bohemian in my thoughts because  I had a huge black enamelled vase that had masses of flowers all over and had the falling petals.  Whilst that was a good quality vase, this is one step up I think and is of the same quality as the Loetz Marmoriertes, that kind of weight and finish etc.
Were you thinking maybe English?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Maybe  ???

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This has some similarities in terms of the way the vase is made and cased.
It is identified as Thomas Webb but no reference - the decoration is different - it's gilding is superb and no white enamel, but there are definite similarities with the body of the vase.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/365154-RL-320/English-Webb-Small-Art-Glass
could my yellow ball vase be Thomas Webb at all?  or is that out of the question for any reason?
m

Offline keith

• Members
It's only my opinion but I doubt the red one is Webbs the quality of the enamel work is not fine enough and the finish to the base,the yellow one looks more Bohemian,French maybe but I have been known to be wrong :o on occasions! ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Well I thought both might be Harrach maybe  :-\
However is that mayfly on the red one a known Harrach 'emblem'.  Have you seen anything like that on Webb pieces?  I only know about the butterfly?
I might have to trawl some books again.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Webb is a bit of a catchall in the US. I would say that perhaps the red one is not Webb. I'd be interested to see what is under the gilding. A lot of the Bohemian gilding is raised by yellow piping, whereas English gilding often seems to use something dark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand