No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quality Bohemian uranium white cased yellow vase - enamel & gilded decoration  (Read 2690 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Yes I was looking at it but it looks to me like the red one has white enamel outlines? with the gilding inside and over the outlines.  It doesn't look like that yellow raised 'base enamel' I've seen on other pieces. 

Mine seems to have been gilded directly onto the vase and then has the white enamel flowers seemingly as a separate colour decoration.  There's no sign of gilding on the white flowers.

The base of mine is neater in finish but there is still a tiny patch right in the centre where you can faintly see white through.
They have both have a gilded ring around the base of the neck -  lots of manufacturers did this but just making comparisons.

I would say from photographs they are similar  good quality with that very thick white interior -  mine weighs 1 3/4lb or about 820 grms.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
The red piece looks very Harrach like to me

The base colour looks to be 'ox blood' -not uniquely Harrach but one of their favourite colours
cheers

M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The yellow ball looks a bit like a ginger jar minus a lid....  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It really isn't minus a lid - well I'm 99.99% sure it isn't  :)
has that shape about it though.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :)
ok!
Just a vague thought  m, that you may have been passing over images of ginger jars in your relentless pursuit of an id.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've taken  that on board and shall be searching for ginger jars this evening ... just in case :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 I accidentally happened upon this one :)

This is what mine should look like with the gilding intact.  Madforglass site has it under English but no explanation of who-

Anyone feel it looks more English now all the decoration can be seen more clearly?  should I ask for the header to be changed perhaps just in case?

http://www.madforglass.es/en/english167.html
Mod: I had trouble with the above link, so have located the page (current at 16/12/19) for the single item and added the link below:
https://madforglass.com/index.php/english-scottish-1

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just adding this in case it becomes relevant at some point in the future - I happened upon the above linked vase again and this time the version with all the gilding and enamel intact is named as Stevens and Williams. No source reference and I think a couple of the other items under their English section are a query so it's just for reference rather than a firm id.
m

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Hi There, Found this quite interesting i have a large heavy vase in a local antiques center its been
in it for a few years for £16 similar to what you may class as spatter glass but as you mentioned
with the red vase its extremely heavy and feels real quality with a white inner and this protrudes
through on the base also, Although not as red it is from memory very similar squarish profile with
a cut rim i am deliberating to purchase it for my collection so maybe able to post a likeness picture in
the near future for comparison as i too believe it maybe an English manufacturer  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand