No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: USA Bergen's 'Crescent'/Dauntless, or Belgian VSL  (Read 736 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
USA Bergen's 'Crescent'/Dauntless, or Belgian VSL
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
In the course of looking at images on Gerry LaCroix's site - which attempts to help with some of the confusion that arises with VSL versus some of the earlier States cased and cut pieces - now believe the attached pix show what is possibly Bergen's Crescent a.k.a 'Dauntless'  -  or, of course, it might just still be a piece of VSL :-\                   Unmarked, but obviously a piece of accomplished cutting - the bowl I believe is cranberry over clear - and apart from some smallish areas of the bowl, almost the whole piece shows cutting of some sort.      Might this date to the very late C19, or is it a C20 product.
Would appreciae some comments and help please from over the pond, if possible, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: USA Bergen's 'Crescent'/Dauntless, or Belgian VSL
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
apologies, forgot the size..............height is c. 194mm, which lies somewhere between 7.5" and 7.75" - so not a very obvious imperial dimension.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:54 PM »
For what its worth I don't believe its Bergen as I've not encountered Bergen cut to clear with an air trap stem plus the foot is far different than Bergen used as their goblet stems bottoms are simply round. Yours is quite a bit better quality than anything they produced that I've seen although I will say that the cutting is similar. Hawkes, Clark & Dorflinger did a few air trap stems & cut to clear so maybe? Ken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »
thanks for the reply.              Having looked at the images on LaCroix's site, there is in fact a green over clear bowl with what appears to be an identical pattern, and it was on the basis of this information that I reached my conclusion.         Unfortunately, this is not an area in which I have any knowledge  -  this piece was acquired very early one morning, some two or three years back for a small outlay, and since I collect drinking glasses I couldn't pass it by.         Is it possible that you might be able to look at the site in question to see if perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick, or whatever.             There is in fact an example of Dorflinger's 'Duchess shown on that site, although it is not the same as this pattern.         thanks. :)

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
Unfortunately I cannot help further as I only have three cut glass references &  am unaware of a LaCroix's site without a URL unless its the ACGA site. Years ago I kept up on Brilliant, but when the market dropped off in the U.S. a decade ago I lost interest from a buying standpoint. 

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »
Hello

I think this presentation is what Paul is referring to:  http://www.cutglass.org/articles/val.pdf.

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:03:29 AM »
it is indeed Sid   -  my sincere thanks for your help in posting the link, in which can be seen the green over clear Bergen bowl :)

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »
Thanks Sid. I never would have found it especially since its been a few years since I've even tried to find anything related to cut glass.  Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand