No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed goblet marked 'M. G. EDSON & Co.'  (Read 9639 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
pressed goblet marked 'M. G. EDSON & Co.'
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
Probably not too clear from the pix, but this has acquired some noticeable sun-purpling, or possibly even made this way, deliberately - I believe there are still one or two manufactuers who create this colour to suggest, fraudulently, a greater than actual age.         Very difficult to date, since whilst looking like something from the lat C19 - early C20, there is a total absence of any wear or age related marks.
Probably British, so shouldn't be here I guess, and the Mods can move if necessary.            Height is c. 6" - 155mm, and there are four mould seams.
It came in with several genuinely older pressed drinking glasses, so might have some age, and just not been used - looks as though it was made yesterday.
So, who were/are M. G. EDSON & Co.? -  I did have a little trawl on the internet, but wasn't aware of seeing the name.         

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: pressed goblet marked 'M. G. EDSON & Co.'
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
That looks like genuine sun purpling

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
thanks, and have a feeling you may well be correct - is it the manganese that causes the colour change?        There isn't a great depth to the colour, just enough to be apparent.          I'll have a look through the older Sowerby catalogues and see if this pattern is shown.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Yes

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
thanks Christine. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
According to a hit on this link, MG Edson were based in Montreal
http://archive.org/stream/cihm_09647/cihm_09647_djvu.txt

There was a Marcellus Gilmore Edson of Montreal who is credited with inventing peanut butter!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcellus_Gilmore_Edson

Can't prove they had anything to do with glass, but other examples of the same goblet are in North American museums, from what I see online.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
Neil - thanks for taking the time to look around.       Have to admit to my lack of pc skills, and regret I can't locate Edson on your first link - although the peanut butter link reminds me that as kids this product was a popular teatime sandwich filler  -  perhaps this glass was a promotional item - and when purchased, it came full of peanut butter ;)
thanks again.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »
Paul, for reference I'll add the facts from Neil's link here for you:

The title of the document is "The authorized catalogue of the first annual exhibition of the Agricultural and Industrial Exhibition Association of Toronto [microform] : held in the new Exhibition Park, in the city of Toronto : open from September 1st to September 19th, 1879"

and there are two mentions of M G Edson & Co. of Montreal,  in it which refer to them in connection with easy chairs for invalids. No mention of peanut butter! :) (But the peanut butter patent is here: http://www.google.com/patents/US306727?printsec=description#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Another website gives bio family tree info about Edson: http://houliston.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I5601&tree=Houliston - he was a druggist / manufacturing chemist in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
thanks very much Anne.........for someone born in 1849, Marcellus lived to the ripe old age of 91, no mean feat having started off life in the middle of the C19.           I can imagine it's not too great a leap of mind to believe this goblet may well have been a promotional item originating with Edson the druggist in your link - can't think that the name E. M. Edson would be common, so likelihood of this connection seems quite strong.          Likewise between druggist/Manufacturing chemist and easy chairs for invalids.         
I'll add the photos to the labels and marks site.
thanks again to Neil.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »
Paul

And chocolate and mustard and ....?  The man was obviously an entrepreneur with all these various businesses/products he was associated with.

I have a goblet with the same design as yours but no mark on the base unfortunately.  It has a slightly raised flat band of glass on the exterior of the lip which is likely for getting a good seal for a metal lid.  The glass is not very good - unfinished with no fire polishing.  I suspect this was packers' ware sold by a glass company to folks like Edson to fill with their mustard or other condiment.  Maybe even a Canadian glass factory but we won't know until a catalog appears somewhere, somewhen.

Thanks for posting this picture.  May I use it for a short article in Glass Facts (the official journal of Glasfax, a group dedicated to the study of glass manufactured/used in Canada)?  Credit will be provided of course.

Sid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand