No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: controlled bubble dishes/ashtrays  (Read 936 times)

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • British, Czech, Scandanavian
    • England
controlled bubble dishes/ashtrays
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »
Hi

I was just wondering how do you tell if controlled bubble dishes/ashtrays are or are not Whitefriars? There seems to be hundreds of them around and they can't all be the real deal. How do you specifically tell the difference?

Thanks
Fox

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline stew2u2

• Members
Re: controlled bubble dishes/ashtrays
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:39 AM »
not an expert but you can go off colour, finish ie ground pontil mark and whitefriars glass is well documented. But there are quite a few copies out there. a makers label helps  ;D
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
It's not so much copies (controlled bubbles is/was a technique used by numerous companies) as the fact that so many attributions are based on the myth that if it has a polished pontil mark or controlled bubbles or both it must be Whitefriars. Take all ebay attributions with a large pinch of salt and try and back them up from reliable sources.

There are plenty of WF controlled bubble ash trays out there (my Mum has one) but you have to look at genuine WF stuff, get to know the colour ranges, shapes and base finishes. Self-education and experience are the answers I think.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:34:49 AM »
Are you ready for this?

Years of production - 1938 - 1980

SUMMARY OF COLOURS

Flint /Sea Green / Amber/ Emerald / Sapphire Blue /  Twilight /  Ruby / Arctic Blue / Ocean Green /  Aubergine / Silver / Lilac / Sage / FLC Aqua / FLC Gold / FLC Sky Blue

Kingfisher and Meadow Green  are mentioned in the catalogues but  I have never seen these dishes made in these colours.

Also, the colours above were used only for certain years.  So for example you will only find a 10" version in the earlier colours  and not the later colours, but to go into the specific years and colours is rather long winded at this stage.

SIZES; 

Up to mid 1960s were made in sizes as follows.  10” / 8 “ / 6” / 5” / 4”

Beginning of the 70s they dropped the 10’ version.

Around 1972 they made only 4.5’ and 5.5” bowls.

HOWEVER - all above info is totally useless unless you have a fairly well trained "eye".  You need to be able to recognise the Whitefriars colours.  Many other makers have greens and blues and ambers, which although could seem  similar are not the same.  Whitefriars colours in the main were fairly consistent and easily recognisable once you have trained your eye.  Another thing is to get used to the "bubble" formation.  Again, Whitefriars bubbles are easily spotted once you are used to them. And finally, the polished pontil mark is not specific to Whitefriars - other makers sometimes also finished off their items with this too. 

Easy peasey!  Or perhaps you will not think so?

Emmi

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • British, Czech, Scandanavian
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:01:18 AM »
Maybe not easy, there sounds like there is a lot of skill in recognising some of these but definitely helpful. Especially for a lowly newbie collector like myself! I must have initiated myself now though because my husband said last night "Do you have to buy more glass? And anyway where is it all going to go?!"  :P  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »
I believe a particular quirk of the bubble ashtrays is that if it's wfs, you can hook your finger under the rim a little bit, there's a ridge.
Not worth much (~ £8) they're still nice enough to have in use. I've got two of them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
You are right Sue, but I have had a few without  this.  Not many, but they do exist. :(

I have used mine as fat candle holders, they look rather pretty when the candle is glowing!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »
I would think that the majority of the controlled bubble bowls I run into were made by Whitefriars, as Emmi said they were made for a long time and in large quantities, there should be lots of them about. I reckon most of the rest that I see are from Murano.

The Whitefriars bowls are well made, tactile and usually have a nice heavy heft.

John

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
I reckon most of the rest that I see are from Murano.

... or from Germany, or from France, or from Holland, or from Belgium, or from Sweden, or from Argentina, or from the USA, or from Portugal or from Japan - meanwhile, chances of finding any WFs outside the UK are pretty slim.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
or Czech...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia