No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Why do you buy what you buy?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • British, Czech, Scandanavian
    • England
Why do you buy what you buy?
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »
I just wondered what people's motivation was for their collecting and why they buy the pieces they do? Do you buy it because it might be worth something or because you like it?

As I am a real newbie I only have five or six pieces at the moment and most of them aren't worth anything at all, I collect things because I like them or because they are pretty, or that they "match" or "go with" other things I own (not just glass).

I think my favourite piece is my glass lamp base, but also because it has sentimental value - here it is lurking in my bathroom where it lives. Does anyone else have a really favourite thing they love more than any of their other pieces? (probably easier when you only have a few like me)

Fox

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Why do you buy what you buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
I buy stuff that speaks to me nicely, or stuff that  just screams at me.
I have to like it. (or know somebody else who will)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
I think I know what you meant about screaming at you... I am trying to convince an american seller to post something international for me... negotiation is not going as well as I would like... But I HAVE to buy one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boyd-Glass-Sly-the-Fox-Sunshine-Vaseline-glows-under-black-light-/310415268391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4846311a27#ht_500wt_1224

I'd like the Janku one or a Steuben one but I think my husband would kill me outright if I did!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:51:52 PM »
You need to work on him, obviously. (your husband, not the seller. I'm sure another glowing fox will turn up with somebody who isn't going to be so difficult.)
Does he have hobbies he spends money on?
You can always work the idea that in the secondary market, anything you buy might well sell to somebody else - you don't actually loose all your outlay the way you do in the primary market.
Many folk do find it's a hobby that can, if you're sensible, almost pay for itself.
The best thing to do is convert him to glass too.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
I think as long as I don't buy hundreds of pieces, so he thinks I have magpie syndrome ("oooh shiny things") then I will be allowed to keep buying the odd one or two. He is pretty much a minimalist person and would rather we threw all the ornaments out! Annoyingly he only spends money on computer games and I don't want to get in a tizz about that or he'll stop and then he'll be under my feet  ;D ::)

I can't imagine I'd ever make any money at it. I wouldn't even know where to start. I do have to say I am very jealous of the collections I have seen on some of the threads, they are amazing! So many beautiful pieces.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »
I think as long as I don't buy hundreds of pieces,
Famous last words. The only way to learn what to buy that will make money is to read books, read this board and other similar ones, look at and handle as much glass as possible, look at ebay sales. etc., etc.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:32:53 PM »
First thing you should learn is check out other sites when buying new glass as eBay is often a suckers bet. If you bought the one you are looking at your total would be $21.94. You might say money by checking other sites rather than eBay. Here is one that is $4 less for the same thing & shipping might be cheaper also.
This site is found by Googling Boyd Vaseline Sly Fox: http://www.opensalts.net/sly.pdf

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
I only buy what I love (or can live with if I'm buying it because I think it is interesting and I want to research it).  And then it goes into my collection.  Everything I buy goes on display or has been on display in my home at some point, because I bought it because it 'spoke' to me.  i.e. I loved it when I bought it and imagined it would fit with other things in my home.
If I need to sell something to buy other things (which I do now as my collection of various ceramics and glass got completely out of hand - well it did according to my husband sigghh) then at least I can sell it with a sense of 'knowing' it I suppose. 

I would weigh up how much you really want an item that costs that much to post abroad and as Ohio says, do some research first to see if you could find it cheaper.

Have fun.  Search this board first before buying :)  it may save you many pennies.
m

bfg

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »
ah, husbands and glass...hmm.

Got rid of husband so now have more room & money for glass rofl.

New toyboy is far more tolerant of my need for glass and carries it all for me on our outings :-D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
Toyboys are just great, aren't they?  8)
Mine isn't nearly as rich as the vile-ex - but he's so much more generous, in every way.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand