No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Why do you buy what you buy?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • British, Czech, Scandanavian
    • England
Re: Why do you buy what you buy?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
Oh I don't mind the one I have he just needs educating a bit in certain areas. It's only 3 years at the start of Sept so he's hardly broken in yet  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
"Toyboy" is a horrendous term... I don't understand why anyone would so happily use such a word to refer to a partner.   ??? 

My focus is on Skrdlovice.  I buy glass for my collection, or when times are a little harder financially, for resale.  I have to handle a piece to know that I really like it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Foxfurie

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • British, Czech, Scandanavian
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
"Toyboy" is a horrendous term... I don't understand why anyone would so happily use such a word to refer to a partner.   ??? 

I use it tongue in cheek about my darling other half... just as he calls me "grave robber"  :o

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 12:01:11 AM »
I collect just about anything I like, the only thing stopping me filling the house to the rafters is the lack of money,thinking about it it's only the loft that has any space :o ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 07:25:38 AM »
I use the term tongue-in-cheek too - he's only 3 months younger than me, but he IS the youngest bloke I've ever been with.
We don't really know what to "label" each other.  ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

bfg

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 09:41:57 AM »
its a term of endearment in our house Anik not horrendous at all - and he chose to refer to himself as that, tongue firmly in cheek.

glass-wise I buy anything that catches my eye - love Davidson art deco glass in particular and tend to hang on to more than I should :-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
wots rong with us real husbands - we're available 24 hours a day, and we've made that commitment to be there through thick and thin  -  and do toy boys last that long anyway ;D ;D.    We have to listen to the weeping, emotions because the cat is about to be put down, her parents woes, am coffee, pm tea, come and pick me up because it's raining, permanently having the duvet pulled to her side of the bed......
you can see how shallow most wimmin are though  -  just look at all those young things who throw themselves at pop stars  -  they only do it for the money, there's no depth to it at all ;) ;)

Collecting is a passion, and sometimes I wish I didn't suffer from it  -  trouble is the passion is too diverse........... there's C18 table glass, just about all drinking glasses, uranium glass, much pressed material from the C19, anything really art nouveau, anything really art deco   -  water jugs  -  other jugs  -  much cut glass.................ughhhhhhhh

But as for good advice - buy books and read them, and go to glass fairs - there's no substitute for actually seeing the stuff.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
My "toyboy" has been with me for 24 years!
(note my restraint from any other comment, although you left yourself wide open!  :P)

Fairs are the best places to go - you get to meet loads of other glass addicts, while surrounded by the best of the stuff, and to talk and talk and talk about it!
I may live up in Dundee - but I'll be at Birmingham in November. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
I've had my toy boy for 11 years and he's now past his best-before date but I don't plan on trading him in for a newer model

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with Toyboys, I've been married to one for 45 years!  :o

Don't know how he puts up with me, I wouldn't put up with me if I didn't have to!!

He has more books and astronomy paraphernalia than I have glass, and I have a lot of glass!! So he can't and doesn't moan... even pays for some of it!!  :D

As for glass collecting Foxfurie, buy what pleases you, sell what doesn't and learn as much as you can.
Come to Cambridge... you will not go home empty handed... guaranteed!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand