No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: US Glass Dugan? Northwood?  (Read 3972 times)

Offline selina

• Members
US Glass Dugan? Northwood?
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »
Hi again,
I've seen few listings with this style of vase/compote. One described it as Northwood, the other Dugan. I have no idea as I know nothing about US glass and have no books either. I do know that it glows brilliantly. I've had it about 6 years. Also how common is it to find? Any help appreciated. I'm googled out again. I find the descriptions quite confusing :) And the variations in colours for both makers also.
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline selina

• Members
Re: US Glass Dugan? Northwood?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
And that was a very disjointed post!! I meant to say I've seen a few listings LOL And they have confused me, so I really need some help, any help :D
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
Well you picked a confusing one & both attributions of Northwood & Dugan are somewhat technically correct plus potentially one more...National. Its Open Beaded Panel Opalescent pattern & its thought Northwood produced it first then sold the molds to National at their Indiana PA plant which became Dugan. Yours is probably Northwood in Canary Opalescent because those produced by Dugan were primarily Carnival while Northwood produced these in Opalescent. To make it more confusing it all depends on who/whom (individual) authored which article as to who made what, but I'd side far more toward Northwood for yours which is the Flared Open Rose Bowl.  Ken

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:27:12 AM »
Ok, now I AM confused LOL. I have a knack of owning glass that seems to be a mystery box :) So I saw one described as about 1888? And that it was rare. Mind you Im going by an old ebay listing I came across which refers to an Encyclopedia that shows it. I don't own this book so I can't check. But the listing is over so am I right in this is the same as mine?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item1c221c237f&item=120831353727#ht_2625wt_1169
Trudy

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »
Yes the same as yours although they usually sell a bit lower, not alot mind you, but lower than that by about $60-$70...still a very good one though so you did very well. Ken

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:04:09 AM »
Thank you Ken :)
Trudy

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »
This item began its life in the late 1890s as the No. 562 from the Northwood Co. in Indiana, Pa. USA, and it occurs in a variety of shapes. See the original catalog picture on p. 134 of the book Harry Northwood: The Early Years 1881-1900. The mould was purchased by L. G. Wright in the late 1930s, and those marketed by him typically have solid glass in the stem. Your second picture appears to show an "open" stem.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand