No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Scottish Paperweight  (Read 1474 times)

Offline mrglass

• Members
Possible Scottish Paperweight
« on: August 09, 2012, 01:05:55 AM »
I have been helping an older collector sell his paperweights and I came across one that has me stumped. I will post a few pictures. He always thought that it was Monart. It came out of another collection that he bought in the 1970's and the owner had passed away without marking the pwt - if he even knew. It does have a Scottish look to me. Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Possible Scottish Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »

I would not like to say for certain where it is from, but I would not rule out Belgium as a probable source. I understand why one might think about Scotland as the origin: I once had a very similar weight (same green ground and style of base) with a cap badge inside, which I thought might be Scottish (if I can find any images of it in my archives I will post them).  However, it did not look quite right, and when I got the item below I concluded that it was (like quite a few cap badge weights) from Belgium.

The base treatment of the religious sulphide is different to the one you show, in that it has been rather crudely ground concave and polished. The grouping is quite common in Belgian weights - I have seen it in some well made Val St Lambert with torsades, too.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrglass

• Members
Re: Possible Scottish Paperweight
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:00:57 AM »
Thanks  for your input Alan,
I see what you mean about  possible Belgium origins. I looked over my Belgium pwts many of which are VSL lampworked pansies of course but I do have some sulphide inclusions all of which are religious themes.  All or my Belgium pwts are larger and lower profile than the mystery weight and have different bottoms even on the few that do not have the bottoms finished. The weight that you posted does have a similar profile to the mystery weight. The green ground  on your weight is lighter and more aqua color. I can not compare color to any of my Belgium weights as none of mine are green. I asked a couple of other people via email and did not get any other insights so we may never know. I guess when I list it for sale for the owner I will leaver it to the buyer to decide what it is. Jim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand