No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano millefiori weight? but what date please?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Murano millefiori weight? but what date please?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
Alsretro's paperweight looks like Fratelli Toso.

It is very similar to the old FT style. If it weren't for the label and the bottom, I would have guessed FT. The flower canes aren't ones that I've seen for FT, though.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »
Whoops as conversation turning to my paperweight which right enough, has what looks to me like the same cane as is in this weight (the cane with a central blue spot, inside 3 wavy/ serrated rings in a yellow casing) http://www.pwts.co.uk/images%20-Murano/ACaudle/FTosoMillePWTIrreg.jpg
Maybe this topic could/ should be split.
...and thanks to the suggested link to Fratelli Toso now found one that's been sitting here for a while is a FT fish amongst seaweed aquarium type weight.  ;D
Alastair

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »
... Maybe this topic could/ should be split.
I think it is useful to have the two weights in the same thread for comparison purposes.

The cane that Alsreto has pointed out as a match betwen his weight and the one on the pwts.co.uk site is not actually the same. In Alsreto's weight the cane has 12 cogs for the inner section, and 16 for each of the two outer sections. In the weight on the pwts site, there are two similar looking canes (albeit with a different colour inner ring); one has 12 cogs for each of the three "rings" and the other has 12 for the two inner and 20 for the outer.

This is a good example of what can appear at first sight to be the same cane but which proves to be different when the details are examined. And the same is true of the overall look of the weights. Without a label, it would be difficult to say that any of the weights like these were not all Fratelli Toso, or AVeM, or even "La Serranissima" (a name I have not heard of before).

Also, my understanding is that on Murano not all glasshouses made millefiori canes, but that many used canes made by the houses that did make them. And in some cases, the overall look and style of a weight cane be very similar amongst various makers. This adds to the problem of identifying a specific Murano maker.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »
That's very interesting Kev and it explains why it is so difficult to identify these without any label or mark.  Thank you  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »
I should have said similar or similarish and yes, thanks Kev for comparing these canes as you did.
Better picture here of the La Serenissima label for reference or whatever anyone wants to do with it.
Alastair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand