No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Diving Dolphins 08803  (Read 1711 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Sowerby Diving Dolphins 08803
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
Could be the oldest piece I have found. I have a date for 1882 to early 1900's and pattern number 08803. I have seen it in a few colours but not this. What is the colour called ? Peach is my guess but I have been known to be very wrong  ;D Near the peacocks Head Trademark it  has a, if its the correct term, straw mark. I have seen similar on other pieces and wasn't aware of the term before. Is this classed as damage ? The bowl does ring true.
Pete. :-)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Re: Sowerby Diving Dolphins 08803
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
One more pic

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
Diving Dolphins made made for a long while (on and off for 60 years or so) but I don't think Rosalin (pink) was introduced until the 1930s (33?). What you have is probably about that sort of date.

A so called straw mark (totally misnamed) is probably a shear mark. It forms when the gob of glass is cut off with (cooler) shears and dropped into the mould. It's not damage, just an indicator of semi-automatic or even hand pressing

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
 The info as you would expect on the internet comes with a lot of filtering needed. Some I read were obviously selling their pieces and singing them up a bit. Still a nice piece whatever the age. Again, straw mark came from another search and I should have read into it more from other sources. I enjoy the learning as much as the finding. Thanks again Lustrousstone.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
Shear marks aka straw marks! You may find this article on my website of interest  :)

http://www.thistlewoods.net/Shear-Marks.html
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
That clears things up nicely. Thinking about the straw part earlier I thought it a bit strange as common sense says straw burns  ;D. Thanks for that glen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand