No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Twisted Stem Tall Engraved Cut Glass Wine Hock~Stevens & Williams?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline suzzi

• Members
Hello. I just bought a set of 8 of these lovely wine hocks. They measure about 8" tall and are made of crystal. I was thinking they were Stevens & Williams, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline suzzi

• Members
Re: Twisted Stem Tall Engraved Cut Glass Wine Hock~Stevens & Williams?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 04:25:20 AM »
Got an ID Steuben 6126, very rare. So there's the S&W connection. ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:11:01 AM »
Gorgeous Suzzi, and the glasses . ;) ;D ::) Now please dont tell me you are a fella . ;) :-[
They must be worth a small fortune .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »
hello suzzi  -  great glasses indeed.        For those of us who may not understand the meaning of yur comments, the connection between Steuben and S. & W. is Fred. Carder - who departed as chief designer from S. & W. in 1903 and remained with them in the States until 1918.      As you say, it's easy to see the connection with an earlier S. & W design - if you look in R. S. Williams-Thomas book 'The Crystal Years' - page 45 there is wine glass with a very similar heart shaped motif with a ribbed outer border - so presumably it was a design that Carder liked.
I know nothing of Steuben patterns - are you suggesting that your glasses were made during Carder's time in the States, or are they known to date from a later period?
p.s.   I'd put money on the fact that you're not a big German lorry driver at the weekends ;)

Offline suzzi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:57:04 AM »
Hi there again. Sorry to tell you that Suzzi is the name of my late dog, and I am in fact a male :-*. These were made in the 1900-20 time period I am sure. There is a better known pattern named Noyon that is cut on the same blank. The blank is in the line drawings of F. Carder. A Noyon 10" goblet sells for about $1500.oo-2000.oo, so these are quite valuable. I would estimate them at about $7000.oo -10000.oo due to it being a set of 8, but that is a preliminary number. These are quite possibly the only ones to exist. It is also interesting that there is a clear window in the design where the others are flowers for a monogram which was never added.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 09:25:58 AM »
 :-[I think i have been set up was it you Keith ,  :-[ no i promise i am straight and its years since i went out with any dogs ,   foisted by my own petard , i never quite knew what that meant ? still not sure ,,,, ok you lot have a good laugh on me / ;D I AM  ;D hilarious . made my day , i will never live this down  ;D
Once again fabulous glasses not a small fortune a substantial fortune . mr geen . jp

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
It's Keith I really feel sorry for  .....he's got the blame, and didn't even contribute to this thread.           It's hoisted by the way jp, and they go bang, or should that be boom.        I'm sure we all offer our sympathies for the dear departed suzzi  -  I'm not a lover of pets - they tend to be at odds with delicate things like glass - although it's true that my wife has a little pussy, and I'm forever worrying that a disaster might befall.
I hope that suzzi's owner has these wonderful glasses insured adequately.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
Thanks Paul it was a typo F - H not a big difference!!! made thru tears from  laughing my head off at the time . i imagine Keith had a good laugh .  ;D bet your wife says something similar about you paul . ;) ;D jp

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
hello jp  -  we can't keep meeting like this, it's a wonder we haven't been kicked out already.       My wife belongs to a cult that adores and worships husbands, apparently - you may borrow her if you wish ;) ;)

Offline suzzi

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
You people are twisted, like these stems. Johnphilip I dub thee Robbie Ross (the obvious), and Paul S. I shall call you Sebastian Melmoth (the not so obvious). ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand