No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Attn: Chris & Val Stewart: New Davidson Shape?  (Read 4724 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Attn: Chris & Val Stewart: New Davidson Shape?
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »
Chris or Val (and anyone else who is interested):
Is this a new Davidson shape of RD. 212684 (aka: War of the Roses canoe set)??
The side view shows the discovery next to the smallest version of the normal canoe shape. 

The non-primrose pearline version is a maximum 4 7/8 inches long and stands 1 1/2 inches tall.  it has a maximum width of 1 9/16 inches wide.  It has two molded slots on each end, and curiously, it has a raised divider in the middle with a slot, like a spoon rest.  Each compartment is (inside dimensions) a max 2 1/8" by 1 1/4 inches.  the pattern is the same (albeit, no opal treatment), the shell design is comparably pressed in detail (again, no smoothing "fire polished" effect that is due to the glory hole strike on the primrose pearline version) and it also has the same rounded top rim, and dotted border.  It also shows NO RD. number on the inside, like all of the other 6 sizes in Primrose Pearline (I have all of the other six). 

Is this a known shape in any color or clear?  I think it is a twin salt, or possible an open salt/open pepper.  It is too small to be a relish.  The smallest straight canoe (other than the tri corner or quad-corner versions) is 6" from tip to tip, so it is not a re-worked mould that had a center divider added. 

I know that LG Wright (U.S. Glass wholesaler) had a mould to make a piece that they called a CRESCENT PLANTER, but it is about the size of the medium canoe (about 7 1/2" long), but they only had one mould and it has never turned up in vaseline (known colors:  blue, amber, green and amethyst).

I have been collecting vaseline/canary/yellow uranium for 15 years, and have never come across this piece before. 

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated !

Dave Peterson
aka:  Mr. Vaseline Glass

http://www.vaselineglass.org/WarOfRosesPair.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
Re: Attn: Chris & Val Stewart: New Davidson Shape?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:06:28 AM »
I just got a note from the seller:  he found it on one of his buying trips to Sweden. 
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:58:29 AM »
Hi Dave

I have never seen this shape in the UK in any colour and not not like to say its not Davidson, but if I had to guess either way I would say no.

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »
Roy
the more I look at this piece, the more I think it is not Davidson.  According to the Stewart book, the part of the piece that is the 'registered design' is the shell motif on the side of the canoe, not the canoe itself.

I have all 6 of the Davidson WAR OF THE ROSES canoe shapes.  There is a tri-corner, a quad-corner, a small, medium and large canoe, and a canoe with twig handles. 

On all but the multi-corner canoes, each canoe has 7 shell designs on each side.  on the 3 & 4-corner pieces, there are 6 shells from point to point.  The piece in question has 5 shells on each side.

On the underside of each piece, there is a sunburst ray pattern in the center, and then additional ones that point towards each tip.  (standard canoe has 3 rayed designs).  On the tri-corner, there is 3 pointing out and one center, and on the quad-corner, there are 4 pointing out and one center.

On each center of all shapes, the sunburst pattern has 36 points for the center design and 21 points for the ones that point towards the ends.  On the new piece, the center sunburst has 32 points, and 19 points on the ones that point towards the ends.

On all 6 originals, there is an Rd. number, embossed on the inside base of each dish.  There is none on the new piece. 

I considered the non-opal to be the least significant detail, as I have had Davidson pieces (in the same shape) in both primrose pearline and without that effect. 

I believe this piece is old, but now believe it is just a reproduction of the shell pattern with a similar shape.  Ferrer from Germany copied three different shapes of the LORDS AND LADIES pattern made by Davidson, and those were made about 1907.  That would be the first 'suspect' possibility on my list, but it could also have been made by other companies.  It was found in Sweden, but that does not mean it was made there.  As it is a pressed dish, it will be interesting to find out if anyone has ever come across another, or in another color.  Moulds weren't made to make just one piece, so there has to be more of them out there. 

Dave Peterson

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand