No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: enamelled vase birds river scene cartouche Japonisme style on white glass base  (Read 2810 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Pretty enamelled vase, white glass base, mould blown, cut and bevelled rim, the background mottled maroon colour is all enamel fired on (cannot scratch it off at all) .
The birds and flowers and the two circular rings around the cartouche are thick raised enamel, looks old like that tin glaze white colour, the branches and river scene and background are flat.  The interior is painted a lovely greeny yellow.  Measures 6 1/4" tall by about 4" at widest.  The base is white as the coloured enamel is only on the outside of the vase with the yellow on the interior.
Would I be right in thinking 1890 ish?
Any thoughts much appreciated  :)  I've been through my books but nothing.  Possibly English?
many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
You've got yourself overexcitied and posted this in paperweights!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 no just trying to cram too much in  :-[...I've reported myself  ;D and asked for it to be moved as soon as I realised 

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
A heavy night M ? ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
no :) I rarely if ever drink  - Just normal behaviour during school holidays I'm afraid  ;D my brain gets addled by constant interruption.

It weight 400grms btw - not a lightweight piece. 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Been wracking my brains to think of what this reminds me of and it's possibly Belgian ? :-\  The black lines are what I've seen on a couple of pieces I have.  One I thought might be Belgian, the other a Henry Martin piece (both completely different era and style though)
m.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I was looking for something else and spotted this Harrach vase on Galle's site.
The cartouche has a different bird in and a different scene on the left but basically a very similar design.  So could my  little vase be a Harrach vase?
top left hand pale yellow vase
https://sites.google.com/site/bohemianglassandmore/harrach
m

Offline MissPrints

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • artistic glass
    • USA
Mindful that the artist may have granted himself license as to colouration and body shape,
and adding that mine is only a guess,  perhaps your small birds belong to the FINCH family.

Found online at a UK birdie site: :  Small birds with forked or notched tails, moderately pointed wings, rounded or elongated bodies and round heads, with more or less triangular bills...The bill shape varies according to the principal type of food, from short and rounded to rather long and sharp.
Some species are agile and feed while perching on, or hanging from, plants, .

I have attached three plates from the BALDWIN book—recall that  I'm so green at glass that if I walked into a pasture the cows would eat me—as other possibilities, which may or may not be useful.   

The fourth attachment is Baldwin's description of the third of three gilt processes.  It would seem, from your photo, that your surround shares this characteristic. Due to the text's length, I am mindful that I am stretching the bounds of Fair Use but since I gain ''no commercial benefit'' from doing so, I believe it's OK. 

Confession: I sell antiquarian and collectible books: underlining and writing on pages are not concepts I support--unless they are pages in what's become my text book.   I was sorting between the three idents for Mr. Root Beer(may be #3) and found the notation about the presence of lavender like several of his oaks leaves. 

SOURCE:

Moser Artistic Glass ~ Edition Two.
Baldwin, Gary D.
1997: Marietta, Ohio The Glass Press Co.

As early as 1878 Moser introduced enameled and gilded glass imitating Islamic goldsmiths' work and Japanese floral motifs. (p.13)

1875 – 1885: Islamic, Chinese and Japanese style glass produced (p.74)

Offline MissPrints

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • artistic glass
    • USA
Perhaps you have seen this listing on ebay:     170941033304

Harrach with birdies~perhaps this will create a link...and then again...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-Antique-URANIUM-GLASS-PERFUME-Cologne-BOTTLE-Decanter-Bird-Bohemian-Harrach-/170941033304?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item27cce12b58 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks for trying to help :)
I think Harrach made a great many vases with birds on - the one I linked to is the one that comes closest in terms of the cartouche design idea and execution but isn't the same bird.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand