No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Opalescent Bowl / Vase 17th March 1879. ID = Rd. 333429  (Read 1238 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Fred

Some pictures of this Sowerby bowl for your Gallery 17th March 1879

regards Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby Opalescent Bowl / Vase 17th March 1879
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:21:01 PM »
As everyone who has access to the lists of Registrations will know, Sowerby Registered six designs, with the Board of Trade, on this date - Nos. 333424 to 29.                 
Obviously, just looking at the list of Nos. doesn't help us to know to which of these Roy's handled bowl belongs  -  which is possibly why it's not included in his post.

My Kew pix for all six designs for this date are good apart from the last one which is slightly blurred, and I'm annoyed that I hadn't noticed this at the time of taking the photographs, so have decided not to publish on the Board and will wait until I visit Kew again and will then take a better picture.          However, there's no doubt that this bowl belongs to Rd. 333429, since the shape and unusual, slightly supported and elevated handles, all agree with the Board of Trade drawing.     

very desirable find Roy.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
Thank you for the excellent photos, Roy.

Sowerby pattern 1403 (shown on page 8 of pattern Book IX, 1882). There is also a version with pinched-in sides, pattern 1403½.

Not a common pattern – the only examples I have seen before have been in IQW.

Thank you for the clarification as to the RD number, Paul.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:19:14 PM »
Thank you Paul for confirming the registration number . Your correct it was not possible to know without the drawings.

Fred thank you for confirming the pattern number for the item , I look forward to finding many new pictures for your gallery over the next few years.

I have only had one other in opalescent glass but the support for one handle was damaged snapped off.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
I now have a much better picture of Sowerby Rd. 333429, as attached.               Just a suggestion, but wonder if the Mods. might care to include the Rd. No. in the subject heading  -  it might help future searches for this particular item.                Roy wasn't able to include this in the heading originally since he didn't know to which of the six designs his bowl belonged.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Sowerby Opalescent Bowl / Vase 17th March 1879. ID = Rd. 333429
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »
Rd. No. added to title as requested.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum