No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut Glass Berry Bowl  (Read 801 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Cut Glass Berry Bowl
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:08:11 AM »
I bought this beautiful berry bowl set the other day, but I don't know where to begin. I attached some pictures of the master bowl. It is 8" (20.3 cm) in diameter and 3.75" (9.5 cm) tall. The walls are 0.25" thick. Someone showed me an Italian bowl that was similar, but the more I looked, the less similar they seemed. Does anyone recognize the bowl? It is cut from a pressed blank. It seems to be vintage, but later than the brilliant stage. Any help appreciated.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Cut Glass Berry Bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
not able to help Anita, unfortunately, although cutting looks to be very high quality  -  long curved mitres are very difficult to produce and some of the shorter ones are very deep.       I'd agree it looks post Brillian Cut  -  lacking that 'all over' dense cutting of the earlier style, although it does have a type of point and arch rim decoration that I believe was a feature of some Brilliant patterns, as too were largish areas of fine strawberry diamonds.         You say this was from a pressed blank - does this mean not lead crystal i.e. no ring when flicked? :)
Always fatal to something is not from so and so country, but it doesn't look British - how about Czechoslovakia -  a little post 1945?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Cut Glass Berry Bowl
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »
Thank you, Paul. The bowl is excellent quality, which is the one thing that made me question that it was related to the Italian bowl. The cut on that bowl was not as careful. The glass is leaded and has the distinctive weight, clarity, and ring. It is a pressed leaded glass blank. :) Something about the glass says not-Czech to me. Maybe-American or maybe-Italian is the closest I've been able to come.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand