No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made these beads?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Who made these beads?
« on: April 01, 2006, 10:13:02 AM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Who made these beads?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »
:D :shock: :D

I think KevH knows something about beads. What I know is that in foil beads, being properly graduated is something that helps date them, as modern copies tend to be made in 3 - 4 sizes only. Also, the colour inside the bead can have significance - if it is white, the beads are generally given the ubiquitous "Bohemian" attribution, if it is black they are more likely to be Venetian.

I once had beads "professionally" knotted - it cost an arm and a leg, AND they broke a couple of beads. :evil:

:shock: There are some people who actively like this pink and green colour combination. I have seen a few women who dress in it from head to toe. :shock:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Who made these beads?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 12:43:03 PM »
Great beads! Probably Czech, 1920s-1930s era,from the design, stringing technique,& length of this necklace.
The best reference books on beads are by Sybille Jargsdorf,published by Schiffer-they examine beads of this era in great detail.
By the way, pink & green is probably my favourite colour combo!
Red & green are complimentary opposites on the colour wheel-pink being a lighter shade of red. Thus they are a perfect match......
I don't care if you all think I'm in bad taste either-to me head to toe beige is the ultimate in bad taste. :P
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Who made these beads?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:54:36 PM »
:D:shock::D

It has occurred to me that I've seen an utterly hideous Grey-Stan vase in this colour combination....

(head-to-toe beige is vile but, fortunately, also nondescript enough to ignore :twisted: )

Oh dear, I think there's another book I'm needing, but thanks very much for telling us about it! I have quite a nice collection of beads, but know nothing about them. I bought them because I liked them so much, have put them away, but still need to find out what they all are.  :?

WAAAHHH! Still no camera!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Jo in Australia

• Members
Who made these beads?
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 11:49:20 AM »
I have a Gray-Stan vase in similar colours :shock: ... but I love it!
 :)
http://tinypic.com/swzaki.jpg
o

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Who made these beads?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 12:49:02 PM »
Seller is adamant that they are Monart and worth $300 because - Christies said so years ago. Who are we to doubt Christies :lol:

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Who made these beads?
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 01:20:55 PM »
Coincidentally I went through my collection of Carnival Glass beads yesterday. Possibly the most interesting are the pale blue iridised glass beads on two (Czech) rosaries. Arguably the hardest to find are marigold beads - which are very attractive, in fact.

By the way, one of my Uni lecturers (a long time ago  :oops: ) who taught us (town planners) landscape architecture used to refer to the pink/red + green combination as blood and pus. And whilst I have forgotten most of the other stuff he taught us, you can see that I have never forgotten that.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Who made these beads?
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 03:08:49 PM »
Sue suggested I might know something about beads. Well, no, not really.  :( My knowledge is limited to beads I have seen in other people's collections (like those of the lady I was sitting next to in the Perth Museum auditorium at the Ysart Conference).

As for Pink + Green ... wondeful combination when worked by Paul Ysart in his paperweights. For instance:
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/paul-ysart/signed/Detail013.htm
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/paul-ysart/signed/Detail012.htm

Glen, I imagine your ex-tutor also held to the old (and, I think, very misguided) maxim that, "blue and green should never be seen, without a colour in between". In this conext, can anyone really show a colour combination in "art / deisgn work" that is not found in nature? And if it's good enough for nature ...  :D
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Who made these beads?
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 03:27:22 PM »
:D :D :D

"Red and green should ne'er be seen,
 Except upon and Irish Queen"

Was the one I knew - I love red and green together.

I have always worked to the idea that green goes with anything because flowers don't clash, but I'm starting to suspect that the reason I HATE pink and orange is that they do clash badly with green! Only MHO, I know loads of folk do like them, part of the rich tapestry of life. :D 8) :D

Just to contradict myself, I have a beautiful Scottish Border Art vase in green and orange, and it's wonderful. :P

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/SBAG2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/SBAG3.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline millarart

• Members
Who made these beads?
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »
Hi,
       personaly i dont think it matters two hoots what colours are together as there is always someone out there that will like them, and wouldnt things be boring if items were all made in the most liked colours, and like Kev mentioned earlier paperweights are made with all manners of colours and they seem to work for most, anyway most importantly the purpose of this posting is to try to find out the maker of the beads,
                    Gary
                                 ps   do you think that that i ll get away with wearing my yellow y fronts with my purple socks fo a night out this weekend :lol:  :lol:
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand