No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh Drinking Glass with Engraved Grape & Vine Design - Date + Info Required  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Trying to finding out a rough date and if possible any further information on this Walsh drinking glass.

Has what looks like an acid etched 'WALSH' mark to the base.

Delightful engraved grape and vine decoration around the top of the bowl, with the lower part of the bowl being heavily facet cut. Plain stem and foot and polished out pontil mark.

Measures 4.75 inches / 12cm tall. Weighs exactly 130 grams.

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
The pattern was introduced 1911/15ish and was produced for many years. The mark indicates it's not a very early one

Offline Greg.

• Members
Many thanks for the info Christine, much appreciated. Out of interest would earlier Walsh examples be unmarked..?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Yes, that was what I meant

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks

Offline Paul S.

• Members
there is an example of  Walsh Fruiting Vine in the C5 Glass Gallery - I suspect people have not yet become accustomed to looking there for cut glass designs/patterns.
Regret I'm presently unable to include links/pix in my replies in view of pc difficulties, but grateful if someone will kindly add to this thread a link to my post of 30th December 2011 which has the subject title of 'Walsh Fruiting Vine Pattern'.     The pale centre of the vine leaves is a characteristic peculiar to Walsh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Here are images of a uranium one. Not great, I'm afraid, and I don't have it any more.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Greg.

• Members
Many thanks for taking a look Paul, I don't think I saw that thread originally, makes interesting reading. Thanks for adding the link Jayne, much appreciated.

That's a useful observation regarding the paler centre vine leaves relating to Walsh, I'll have to try and remember for future reference.

Thanks also for the pics of the Uranium version Sue, certainly a vibrant variation to the clear ones! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one!

:)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
it's a common failing - to forget the GMB search facility - do it myself frequently - and it's such a wonderful archive of data :)

ta ever so to Sue for showing me again that lovely u. glass ;)

and finally the biggest thanks to Jayne for helping me out by attaching the link  -  I hope to back up and running again soon with my pc in a few days  -  I have some good pix to share.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand