No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this goose Seguso or have I cooked the attribution?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Is this goose Seguso or have I cooked the attribution?
« on: August 11, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »
Something about this one is saying Seguso to me, mostly the feet and the 'tummy tuck'. There is a resulting vague similarity with a bird on page 147 in Pina's book Lace and Stone. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part. ;D

It is a little over 5 inches tall (13cm), opaque white glass cased in a thin layer of grey (all then cased in clear) which gives it a smokey sort of effect. Base is polished flat.

John

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is this goose Seguso or have I cooked the attribution?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »
John, Archimede Seguso made ducks or geese like this. The ones I have pictures of aren't reaching down quite as far and don't have this color. But the feet are right. The amount the goose is reaching down may just be individual variation. The bill looks right for A. Seguso.

That being said, there are many companies that did the geese or ducks with bowed neck that I would want to see a labeled one in this color before saying it definitely is.  I guess the best I can say is I don't see any reason to think it isn't Archimede Seguso, but I can't say for sure.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Is this goose Seguso or have I cooked the attribution?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »
Thank you for taking a look and commenting Anita. I must admit the colour had me wondering too, there is nothing quite like it in Lace & Stone.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand