No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ZBS vase by Miloslav Klinger / Josef Cvrcek - show and tell and question  (Read 4644 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Back from a fabulous holiday in Croatia, a fabulous piece of glass for my Czech collection:

ZBS vase by Miloslav Klinger / Josef Cvrcek (still not definate I guess) in citrine and brown glass, PN 70214 or 20866 (?), a whopping 35 cm high -- much bigger and more impressive than I had expected...

Question: does the pattern number refer to the year of design (1970)? If not -- when was it designed?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi Michael... according to Jindrich's "Ceskoslovenske Sklo" DVD database, the designer of this piece is Josef Cvrček and the pattern number is 70214.  I don't think ZBS pattern numbers contain dates. It's a great vase, by the way.  Lovely find!

P.S.  Where in Croatia were you?  It's a beautiful country.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thanks Anik!
I found the other pattern number (20866) in CGR 1984/3, where Klinger is mentioned as the designer; so still quite confusing.

I was curious about the year of design, as I can't find it anywhere; not even Mark Hill mentions it in his book...

Michael

PS: we spent our holiday in Dubrovnik, in a nice appartment with private pool terrace overlooking the beautiful old town 8)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Ah, so it is confusing.   :-\

Over the past few years, we've become more knowledgeable about the SU factories thanks to Marcus Newhall.  Mark Hill has offered us a general (but wonderful) glimpse into the Hi's and Lo's of Czech glass.  Jindrich has selflessly given us a world of information regarding Czech sklo through his website, and has shared fascinating information about a number of designers, not least Frantisek Vizner.  Robert (bOBA) has opened our eyes to the beauty and wonders of Skrdlovice... We need someone to take on the mysteries of ZBS.

P.S.  I spent a couple hours in Dubrovnik last year, but felt so overwhelmed by the massive crowds, I couldn't enjoy the city. :(   I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, though!

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
In an older thread I found a post by Jindrich stating that the ZBS pattern books have been bought by a collector and thus will not be lost; so maybe some of the mysteries will be uncovered one day.

P.S. As we were looking at Dubrovnik and the whole bay from faaar above (400 steps ;D), no crowds could spoil the beauty of the place. And though the old town was quite crowded, it seemed almost empty in comparison to Zadar where we spent one night on our way there...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
beautiful piece Rocco  :)
off topic slightly but I can highly recommend Rovinj.  We stayed at a hotel on an island off Rovinj reached by local ferry - had an absolutely wonderful holiday. I  loved Croatia and we'll definitely go back.
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thanks m!
The vase was much harder to come across than I had thought, so I am very pleased (especially with having found this very tall specimen).

OT: I spent all my childhood holidays in Croatia / then Yugoslavia (no wonder coming from the south of Austria, only 50 km away from the border), and always loved it. :)

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand