No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cigarette or card holder with smoking figures - ID = Heinrich Hoffman  (Read 3608 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
A dull description for a lovely little object.  I think the blank is pressed, it is weighty so a high lead content, base and rim are polished, corners and edges are bevelled. Just over 2˝ inches tall - a bit less than 7cm.

The figures and boats are in high relief - I have not seen pressing of this detail so assume they must be cut and engraved. When I bought it I thought the three figures were smoking tobacco and the boats suggested tobacco traders. After a clean I now think two of them are smoking opium pipes, so perhaps Chinese opium traders. Someone else thought clogs and Holland...

Any thoughts on how it was made, where, when, depicting...?

So not asking much. ;)

John

Forgot to mention there may be a little monogram bottom right on the front panel.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Cigarette or card holder with smoking figures
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:17:19 PM »
Difficult to see the mark/monogram in detail, I was wondering if it could possibly be a Heinrich Hoffman intaglio 'Butterfly' Mark...? not 100 % sure, might be worth investigating.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »
Excellent Greg, thank you. This is even the same scene, well figures anyway: http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/aschenbecher/02416.html

Will see what else I can find.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »
Here it is: http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Hoffmann-1927.25+B6YmFja1BJRD0yNSZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9NTcxJmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

Nice one Greg, at least available in their 1927 catalogue, item no 352. Some stunning stuff in that catalogue. :o

So pressed, I am impressed. :D

John

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
Well spotted.  :)

The detail on some of these Hoffmann pieces is quite impressive. Just to mention I gather some of these original Hoffmann designs have and possibly still are produced, however, I not sure if these later pieces contain the Hoffman 'Butterfly' mark, I may be wrong.

I did pick up the Hoffmann pin dish (shown below) a while ago, this also had the Hoffmann Butterfly mark to the underside. On very close inspection I also found a circular acid etched mark to the base with the wording 'Made in Czechoslovakia'. The acid etched mark to the base is the same as shown at the bottom of the following web page (mark number 2). I'm not sure if all period pieces carried this mark or not, although may be worth having a look at your piece, the mark on mine was extremely faint.
http://www.auntjudysattic.com/made_in_Czechoslovakia.htm

Greg

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
Nope, no mark. Desna are still producing some of the shapes.

I would still like opinions as to what the figures are doing and what nationality they may be. Hint, hint. ;D

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
They are probably just Czech seamen having a smoke. Clogs are pretty universal in Europe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog_%28shoe%29#Traditional_clogs_in_Europe

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
Yes, but a smoke of what? - the chap who isn't smoking seems to be laughing at the other two - who do not look too happy!
Has he just made a big profit, selling them rubbish?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »
I think you are right Christine, not Chinese opium traders, those boats are not very Chinese in design. Czech seamen? Although Czechoslovakia is a land locked country and will have little in the way of maritime culture I guess there was still plenty of trade via the rivers.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand