No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: identification please  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
identification please
« on: April 01, 2006, 03:20:05 PM »
I bought this piece of glass the same time with the Imperial Glass with Label.  Have no clue as to who may have done this.  It's interesting though, because of the white dot on the base and the white swirls that go around the piece.  My picutures are a little dark, I still haven't perfected the color glass photographing yet.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  The light box doesn't really help out with colored glass as it does with clear glass.  I have a photoflex light but that only seems to put a big white box glare on the glass.  
Anyway, here are the pics of this pretty posey vase.

http://i2.tinypic.com/spirmf.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/spirtc.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/spis1i.jpg

Thanks.
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
identification please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
Sorry no ideas as to maker here but I doubt any relationship to Imperial and looks like a studio piece to me.

The photographioc problem is not becuase its colored but because its dark. More light is getting reflected than is getting inside it to illuminate.
Try a black card mask with a cut out for the base. Also, if possible, a pencil spot directly above and as close as possible to get yet more light inside it.

At least we can see the lovely amethyst color from the base shot.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
identification please
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 08:38:19 PM »
The shape reminds me of Mdina but the white stripe doesn't.  :?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
identification please
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 11:58:42 AM »
Some Mdina can be found in the US but not much of it and besides the amethyst is not a Mdina color.
See my comments on your other piece.
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
identification please
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 03:35:21 PM »
Just want you to know that I'm not being rude in answering your comments on this piece of glass, I just find it really hard to log on sometimes.  Don't know what it is, but sometimes if I reboot my computer and go directly to this site, I'm able to log on.  So, enough of me whining....

I was thinking that this piece is probably Chinese made, they are getting better and better in their glass houses over there that it is getting harder and harder to identify.  In fact I was at WalMart today and saw some really pretty  vases that looked very close to being Murano pieces, except they had a label on it saying made in China.  But if there wasn't a label on it, sometimes you can't tell the difference.  

Thanks for the info on how to shoot dark colored glass, I'm going to be experimenting today with your suggestions.

Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand