No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strange randomly faceted paperweight.  (Read 1781 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Strange randomly faceted paperweight.
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
Purchased this paperweight quite cheaply in an Antique fair today. I was firstly attracted to it's colourful design and then intrigued by the strangely arranged facets that covered the whole weight. I am not quite sure now which facet represents the base. I even wondered whether it had been damaged and restored to extreme lengths. I like it a lot as it is extremely pretty but it worries me as well. Here are 2 photo's the second showing the "polished base??"
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bryn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Strange randomly faceted paperweight.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
Maybe it is done so you have a choice of faces to view - rather along the lines of the Murano "Oyster" vase/ashtray.  Eickholt in the USA often grinds a flat on an edge as well so that the disk paperweights he makes can be stood on edge and thus get natural light coming through them.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:54:52 PM »
Think its probably been refaceted to repair several bruises. Or it could have been used to practice faceting. I think this, because I believe it has about 5 facets, which is quite a lot.  Even if it is, treat it as being an advantage as it can be displayed in five different ways.    But that is only my opinion, I could be wrong.
       Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:32:25 PM »
It certainly seems to have been displayed on different facets as there are movement marks on 2. The facets seem to be quite random. There does seem to be one base facet which shows off the weight to it's best with all the bubbles at the top, well to me anyway. I like it. It just intrigues as to where it was made. I thought it might have been Chinese but it's just too bright and colourful at least to my limited knowledge of the subject. Several  years back I picked up an antique St Louis Camomile pompom paperweight in a Boot sale for a few pounds and this one just gave me a similar buzz.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand