No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peter Holmes Rainbow Cascade  (Read 6151 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Peter Holmes Rainbow Cascade
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »
Bought a 'lot' of Scottish glass including Strathearn, Vasart, and Perthshire Paperweights vases and some signed Selkirk Paperweights.
The one I am having trouble with is this one...
https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/SelkirkGlassPeterHolmesRainbowCascade#
'marked' on the base Selkirk glass Scotland 1999
Research tells me it's called Rainbow Cascade and made by Peter Holmes?
Further research led me to this listing on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380439446781?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Which I read as Peter Holmes made these  weights for Caithness in 1974 no reference to Selkirk Glass in the listing but if I am reading it right the weight in the listing is 1 of 2 made on commission for him by Peter Holmes
It looks identical to the one I have? so did PH make the same designed weight for Caithness and Selkirk and also on commission/
Confused!! Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Peter Holmes Rainbow Cascade
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »
I'm always dubious about that seller's attributions; I'd contact Peter
http://www.scottishbordersartglass.com/about.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »
You can believe that seller, he is a friend of Peter's and the sellers wife (I think) does the polishing on the weights made by Peter at scottish borders art glass.  Looks like Selkirk made some in 1999, though I would doubt Peter made it himself as it doesnt have his cane or signature.

Ask the seller, hes usually approachable, name is Rob Scott.

Ian

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
Had a reply from the seller that the weight in the listing was made by Peter at Scottish Borders in 2007.
Still confused about mine though Ian which looks identical to the known Peter Scott one he made at Scottish borders, so is mine just an everyday weight from Selkirk who just happened to copy the Rainbow Cascade design? though I believe Peter was there at that time? and it is definitely not listed in the 1999 production catalogue.
Chris

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:03:12 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time Ive seen selkirk doing a caithness weight.  Peter was of course there pre 1977 when he started Selkirk.

It also may well not be in the catalogue for 1999 as it could be a standard production weight, but I havent seen it before, so ask Peter!

Ian

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »
Apparently Peter Holmes made the original Rainbow Cascade in 1974 at Caithness with a PH cane then again in 1975 with a CG cane.
I have talked to a well known paperweight collector who has not seen a Selkirk Cascade either in a catalogue or in the 'flesh'?
I have 'swapped' Photos with the owner of the one from the commissioned pair made by  Peter for him at Scottish Borders in 2007 and are identical in both colour and design. He seems quite knowledgeable and he too says he has never seen a Selkirk 'Cascade' either.
Chris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 08:55:44 PM »
Which is why it's a strange weight.  I also specifically collect Selkirk and Peter's work and I've never seen one either!  Must be a test piece, probably made by Peter.  Would be nice to find out if he did or not!

For some pics of my selkirk collection you should be able to flick through and see it from here

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/pooleandpaperweights/DSC_0146.jpg

Ian

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
Have to say I just flicked through and love the Penguin weight, and the world weight, both Selkirk.  Not seen those before either!

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/pooleandpaperweights/?action=view&current=DSC_0160.jpg

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
Hi there,

I am away from home and so cannot check my documentation but I am pretty sure that Selkirk issued a 'Millennium cascade' like yours as part of the Millennium collection (i.e. in 2000). I understand your 'cascade' is dated 1999 but some of the millennium weights were made late 1999 (I own a limited edition 'Millennium Planet' dated 1999). I seem to remember that the 'Millennium cascade' was an unlimited edition.

And yes, it is Selkirk's version of the Caithness 'Rainbow Cascade', a weight that Peter Holmes use to make when he was at CG. 

SophieB

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
Interesting, and there is a Millenium Crown amongst those picture of mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand