No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very large Seguso Penguin  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Lee

• Members
Very large Seguso Penguin
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
My wife collects glass penguins, most of which are fairly run of the mill.  But she does have a set of Ronneby penguins that started the collection off, and her favourite penguin is a rather large Seguso which we she purchased in Hamburg around 10 years ago........... I shudder when I remember what she paid for it  :'(

Standing 27 cms tall, he's quite an impressive bird.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Very large Seguso Penguin
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:36:13 AM »
Lee, this looks like a good penguin for the Murano Zoo. If you would like to have its picture in there, just email me your full name and I'll be glad to include it.

Is the penguin totally white? or is it colored on back? It reminds me so much of one that I had that I haven't been able to identify. Mine is on a base, though.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lee

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »
If its good enough for the zoo, I'll get some better pictures taken.

She has a similar looking penguin on a black base, but it doesn't have any stickers or a signature to identify it.  She also has another couple of penguins with Murano stickers.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
Anita hi , does your one have a lattimo base a friend of mine who is a major dealer in Italian glass  has one and he says its by Venini but he has never been able to prove it , i also have one the same hidden away somewhere for the last 25 or more years . i will pm you a little more info but remember its not been confirmed .  regards jp

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »
Yes, it has a white base. It is a nice penguin, but no clue to who made it. I have a rule for Venini -- if it isn't soffiati and it isn't signed correctly, then it isn't Venini. That rule has saved me a lot of money over time.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:36 AM »
Stunning Penguin by a great company! Recently got an SVdA Kangaroo and am starting to like this companies animal pieces. Fantastic find :)

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:18:39 PM »
HI

Seguso is one of the great furnaces of the Venetian Glass blowing era with pieces such as this penguin a must for collectors.  With regards to prices paid, you simply cannot put a price on a skill that takes 15 to 20 years before an apprentice glass blower has the title of MAESTRO or Master Glass blower bestowed on him, a title which if fiercely guarded and earnt over a lifetime of sweat and heat in the furnaces of Venice.  To see the Venetian glass blower in action is a sight of sheer beauty, dexterity and artistic brilliance the likes of which you will never find anywhere in the world other than Venice.

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand